Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does mask type determine max humidity?
Does mask type determine max humidity?
Wondering if the type of mask determines max humidity with a machine before rainout?

I have an autoset 10.   I was using an n20 nasal mask .  I usually had climate control set for Auto or 5 at max.   Anything more and I would get rainout in my tube and nasal mask.

Switched to an n30i.   I noticed over the last week that I can go all the way up to 8 without any rainout.  

Only thing I can theorize is that the actual amount of humidity using the n30i is less because there are more air holes?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does mask type determine max humidity?
It could.  The larger masks have more internal structure and surface area, and more exposed on their outsides to room air, so you could see a buildup of condensate in the lowest recesses of the mask internally.

If you want to determine this empirically, keep a record of waking room temps for a couple of weeks, note your settings for humidity as you change them, and if you have a range of mask sizes that will not compromise your sleep therapy, see what effect mask sizes has.  Hopefully your room temperature doesn't have variance of more than a degree or two, but that's a faint hope unless you heat your room.  My wife and I don't, and we crack a window.
Post Reply Post Reply
my room temp is about the same (65) and humidity level has been pretty consistant in the room (About 30-35%).

I was thinking thinking it could be the mask itself, but now I'm thinking it may be the air flow. Not sure if this is possible.

With the n20, there was definitely water in the climateline tubing using any setting above 5. There is no water in the tubing using the N30i, even using a setting of 7 or 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have my own N20 humidity reduced to 01 because I'm living in a humid climate most of the time.  When my settings were in the 4-8 range I, too, had water inside my mask most nights.  I have no experience with the other types of mask.  However, you do, and your hose doesn't change, only your mask.  So perhaps it's either shape or surface area, or both in combination that yields rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
The N30i has airflow out of the top of the headpiece. It also has airflow around the nasal area of the mask. The N20 only has air flowing out near the mask.
I'm wondering if the dual exhaust areas on the N30i cause the actual humidity within the tubing and mask to be less.

I guess I'll have to see if anyone else with an N30i notices any difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have same mask and machine.  Been playing with that humidity level and the temperature level. Don’t have problems with rained out I’m just surprised at how much more water I am using with the N30i
Post Reply Post Reply
Has the room's ambient humidity dropped at about the same time you tried the new mask?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks and increased pressure can also increase water usage, how does you leaks look
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe a couple of degrees as we haven’t really transitioned to using air conditioning. 

Ideas??
Post Reply Post Reply
Ambient room temperature, ambient relative humidity in room, temperature of the water in the humogrifier vs that ambient room temp.

If room is already at high RH, you're not going to put much more moisture in the air. Maybe a LITTLE by raising the temp, but it will not be significant
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 248 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,162 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  How to determine my current no-CPAP AHI BigWing 18 950 12-17-2023, 10:44 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,998 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 512 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.