Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does mouth breathing help eliminate teeth grinding when asleep?
Does mouth breathing help eliminate teeth grinding when asleep?
I am trialling the ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Mask because when using the ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows which I love, my airways collapse and APAP adjusts automatically and ramps up and it blows out through my mouth (leaks). I am not a mouth breather but a teeth grinder mouth closed firmly person.

I was under the impression that once I started my therapy, the teeth grinding would stop but I woke this morning with a sore jaw - I don't know if I am just reverting back to what I have been doing with my untreated Sleep Apnea.

I would go with the Nasal Mask but there are side leaks and I am finding myself waking up to adjust a lot - and sometimes I can't tell if it is the air coming out or leaks until I wake up nearly fully to decide.

Anyways, I am very grateful for all the information and posts from people here
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does mouth breathing help eliminate teeth grinding when asleep?
The first thing you need to do is look at your leak graphs and find out if you're leaking. If you are, your therapy is compromised, so that needs to be straightened out first. Being a mouth-breather is not the same as being a mouth-leaker. What happens when you mouth-leak is that your jaw muscles relax, your mouth opens, and the pressurized CPAP air escapes. Without trapped air the pressure splint can't be maintained, your airway collapses, and you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea just as if you had no CPAP machine at all.

If you are leaking, and a chin strap doesn't fix the problem, then you'll have to switch to a full face mask.

Once you get your leaks under control hopefully you'll get the rest you need and the teeth-grinding will stop. There's no guarantee, though, that that will happen.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for explaining that to me Sleepster! Smile

I downloaded SleepyHead yesterday so once I get to my house sitting destination for my sister over Xmas - I will have 7 days there to just concentrate on learning what the data means to me Bed
Post Reply Post Reply
Diane for what it's worth, I have been a teeth grinder for years. When I first started CPAP therapy it got worse to the point I was waking up with sore jaws. I think but am not sure but it was caused by me trying not to grind and being anxious about the CPAP stuff. I used a night guard for a week or two, and then stopped and have not noticed a problem since. YMMV
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have another question - what is the down side of going to a full face mask? Just asking as I don't know Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2015, 08:26 PM)cate1898 Wrote: Diane for what it's worth, I have been a teeth grinder for years. When I first started CPAP therapy it got worse to the point I was waking up with sore jaws. I think but am not sure but it was caused by me trying not to grind and being anxious about the CPAP stuff. I used a night guard for a week or two, and then stopped and have not noticed a problem since. YMMV

Thank you Cate - with the Nasal pillows, I was using an over the counter mouth guard for snorers but since going to the nasal mask - I haven't used it.

Anyways it seems that I have to figure out what is best - thank you again!

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a bite splint made for my upper teeth and feel it really helps me keep a seal at night. It adds volume and a nice surface for my tongue to block off leaks from my mouth. It also stops my grinding so I try not to forget it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dagmar - so much stuff to consider and work out x
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2015, 08:31 PM)Diane1048 Wrote: I have another question - what is the down side of going to a full face mask? Just asking as I don't know

It's supposedly harder to get a good fit, but I don't know if that's as true as it used to be. They have some very nice masks now, and a bigger variety, too, so it's easier to find one that fits well. Masks also make people feel claustrophobic, but again I believe that that's just a beginner issue. You can ween yourself on a nasal pillows mask and then move on to a full face mask.

I was a teeth-grinder for many years. I had to wear a night guard. After starting CPAP therapy and getting the rest I needed my anxiety issues faded quite a bit and I no longer need the night guard.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Diane, teeth grinding often has nothing whatever to do with sleep apnea. It's often an issue of anxiety or stress. Sometimes it has simply become habit even though the original cause has been resolved.

Behavior modification helps. One of the tips that was successful for my brother was to press his tongue to the roof of his mouth when going to sleep. What was this supposed to do? I have no idea, but it works for him. He sometimes has to do it again (for instance, shortly before his wife died, he started the behavior again). Sleeping with your mouth open could create yet another bad habit, so I don't really recommend it.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/teeth-g...treatments

I never was a teeth grinder, but recently, due to serious family issues, became a clencher and have now damaged some of my molars (I get 2 caps next month to prevent further fractures).

You might also consider trying some inexpensive dental guards at the drugstore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,047 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 114 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 263 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 820 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.