Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does my BiPAP detect mouth breathing?
Does my BiPAP detect mouth breathing?
Does the Respironics DreamStation Auto BiPAP detect and report mouth breathing? Does it report it as a mask leak or something else?

Is there a better place I should be looking for an answer to this sort of question?

Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does my BiPAP detect mouth breathing?
I think I know the answer. It would show up as a major leak, I don't know how a machine would tell the difference between a mask leak and a mouth leak (open mouth). Your question comes down to how do you know if you are opening your mouth or knocking your mask sideways.

if you our someone else catches you doing it.
video yourself at night (yep people do this)
some machines have a mask leak alarm
pick one and do your best to counter it, if it still happens, pick the other one and repeat.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mikeq and welcome aboard
Leak is a leak, whether mask or/and mouth leaks
PR machines report total leak (mask leak + mouth leak + mask vents leak)
SleepyHead doesn't support DreanStation yet but if you sign-up for "Respironics DreamMapper", you'll see if you had any large leak and % of time in large leak if any any, also shows 'mask fit' score
Chinstrap can helps keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks
Post Reply Post Reply
A leak is a leak but whether it is a mouth leak or a mask leak determines the methods that one might try to solve the problem. Mouth leaks are generally large but not necessarily. If you have chipmunk cheeks and air is escaping from your closed mouth one bubble at a time that is a mouth leak but not very big.

If it is not a leak that you can feel while awake or when awakened then chances are that it is a mouth leak and I would try chin strap and if that did not work then full face mask. Chin straps are kinda like masks. A chin strap may work great for someone and not at all for you. There are many different chin straps and at least they are cheaper than masks.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mikeq,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,167 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 37 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 382 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 257 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.