Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does my data suggest the need for a cervical collar?
Does my data suggest the need for a cervical collar?
Hello,

I'm a beginner CPAP user, having been using it for the past 3-4 weeks. I actually rented a machine first (REMStar Auto A-Flex) as I couldn't get a test done and now I've bought a Dreamstation. 

Anyways, the problem that I am facing is that sometimes I get really large leaks throughout my sleep. This is despite having my mask fit well. I've noticed that I experience clusters of hypopneas which makes me suspect that when I experience these clusters and/or large leaks, I am tucking my chin, which causes air to rush out from the bottom of the mask. Does it seem so from the data that I've posted? Thanks?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does my data suggest the need for a cervical collar?
(06-02-2021, 10:37 AM)gadgetmaniah Wrote: Hello,

I'm a beginner CPAP user, having been using it for the past 3-4 weeks. I actually rented a machine first (REMStar Auto A-Flex) as I couldn't get a test done and now I've bought a Dreamstation. 

Anyways, the problem that I am facing is that sometimes I get really large leaks throughout my sleep. This is despite having my mask fit well. I've noticed that I experience clusters of hypopneas which makes me suspect that when I experience these clusters and/or large leaks, I am tucking my chin, which causes air to rush out from the bottom of the mask. Does it seem so from the data that I've posted? Thanks?

I can't seem to be able to attach another image on my first post from my mobile, so I'm attaching it here.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2021, 10:42 AM)gadgetmaniah Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 10:37 AM)gadgetmaniah Wrote: Hello,

I can't seem to be able to attach another image on my first post from my mobile, so I'm attaching it here.

Here are two more. Again, sorry for attaching them in different posts! I couldn't find the 'Add Attachment' button on my mobile phone.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

May 29th is the strongest indication and likely the scenario you mention could have played out.
But that is one day, your other days are questionable.

I'd suggest that you try pillow modification first. By that I mean look to get your head flatter. If you used two pillows go down to 1. Change your ultra-firm foam pillow for your grandmother's feather pillow. That kind of thing. That can make the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2021, 11:09 AM)Gideon Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

May 29th is the strongest indication and likely the scenario you mention could have played out.  
But that is one day, your other days are questionable.

I'd suggest that you try pillow modification first.  By that I mean look to get your head flatter. If you used two pillows go down to 1. Change your ultra-firm foam pillow for your grandmother's feather pillow.  That kind of thing.  That can make the difference.

Thanks for the reply! Pillow modification did actually come to my mind and in fact I am staying at my grandma's house right now and using her flat pillow. Should the pillow be hard though? The one I'm using right now is completely flat but soft - it seems to be made of foam. Also, I used to have the same leakage issue using my own pillow at my home too. I've tried adjusting my mask straps as well. That did work for the past two to three days. Perhaps I did not adjust my straps well today. What I do is that I tighten the lower ones and leave the ones around the head not tight nor loose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thin and soft should be OK as long as your chin doesn't point towards your chest.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2021, 11:29 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Thin and soft should be OK as long as your chin doesn't point towards your chest.

Ok, thanks. I'll try a cervical collar too because I do usually tend to sleep with chin downwards.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 215 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 422 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 353 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 533 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 369 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.