Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does overheating cause sleep apnea?
Ohmy 
Does overheating cause sleep apnea?
Last night was the worst I have for a long time. Awake at around 0415hrs over hot, a headache and feeling ill. My SH data (to me) doesn't show much at that time, except a big dip in respiration rate around 0500hrs. My question is does over heating cause SA or is it the other way round? I feel rotten today. Need help.
[Image: tn_sleepyhead4.png]
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does overheating cause sleep apnea?
I doubt if there's a relationship between the two. I've had a couple nights like that since I started cpap, and prior to cpap I've had occasional nights like that as well... millions of nights not like that at all. However, I'm not a doctor or even a medical professional. I do have GERD, which may have been the source of those occasional nights before and since cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think they are related - but I sleep badly if I am too hot.

Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2014, 08:51 PM)DNB128 Wrote: I doubt if there's a relationship between the two. I've had a couple nights like that since I started cpap, and prior to cpap I've had occasional nights like that as well... millions of nights not like that at all. However, I'm not a doctor or even a medical professional. I do have GERD, which may have been the source of those occasional nights before and since cpap.

I was the poster child for GERD until I started PAP. Now, I no longer (knock on Zonk's wooden head) have any GERD ever. That's actually a good thing!
Post Reply Post Reply
You would think that being hot and not feeling well would be an increase in resp. rate, not a decrease.

But no, overheating would have little to no impact on causing sleep apnea. It may be one of many factors but not one main. If anything, it would keep a person from falling into deep sleep which would keep them those muscles from relaxing which would prevent an apnea event from happening.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2014, 08:51 PM)DNB128 Wrote: I do have GERD, which may have been the source of those occasional nights before and since cpap.

In AU its GORD and that's a good name for it. I take "Ranitidine." Because of kidney problems I can't take Somac or Nexium. Haven't been able to find a link between GORD & SA, but to my mind there's a link between body temperature and SA

Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea is known to cause night sweats. I suppose you might feel hot.

I suspect any kind of disturbance or discomfort might affect your level of apnea.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found I was getting hot at night for one main reason - I replaced my ducted heating and turned up the overnight temp.

I had quite a thick 4 blanket, I think it is, doona so I now have a two piece wool doona that can be zipped together at the corners - one is 350 grams and the other is 200 grams (probably per square metre(?)) I am now using just the 350 gram doona and am comfortable at night.

I have had night sweats in the past but put that down to such a thick doona.

I would have thought apnoea not be related to apnoea as obstructive apnoea is the throat closing and Central apnoea, I have read, is the brain is not sending the breath signal to the diaphragm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2014, 08:26 AM)Skypilot Wrote: I would have thought apnoea not be related to apnoea as obstructive apnoea is the throat closing and Central apnoea, I have read, is the brain is not sending the breath signal to the diaphragm.
I believe what you have written is correct. However it is known that raised blood temperature causes the brain to malfunction as in people lost in deserts and workers wearing hot protective gear. I just wondered if perhaps the brain might, in such a situation, omit to send breathe messages, thereby inducing central apnoeas. When I have good nights, my data logger shows a straight temp line. Unfortunately I don't have a trace from a bad night yet, (for obvious reasons).
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, after many tests and analysis I have come to the conclusion that overheating whilst sleeping definitely will cause a sleeper to stop breathing. The most obvious cause of this phenomenon is the humble doona.
When the night is cold, we instinctively add the doona to the existing blankets, which on the face of it seems harmless enough, & it would be too were night temperature to remain constant. But they don't. Because a doona is light weight, we fail to realise its potential to prevent heat escaping from out body so that if or when the temp. rises during the night, the body has no way of compensating. The body temp. rises & the sleeper stops breathing. I believe this effect could be the cause of, or contributory to SIDS
Sleepyhead & other software do not record these events which can be quite long. The patient sometimes wakes at the end of the event, but not always, instead rising in the morning feeling quite ill. Frontal lobe and or all over headaches will be in evidence too.
I think some members may not agree with me here, but the evidence is solid & convincing. I talked this over with my doctor & he agreed my solution of sleeping "cold" and adding covers as required would be a better way to go, rather than the other way around.
I must emphasise, I do not have OSA & my AHI is continually below 5, yet I often wake in the condition I have described.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.