Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does reading the data card erase the data?
Does reading the data card erase the data?
My DME guy told me that if you remove the card and read it, it erases all the previous data. Huh? It's only a sim card, why would that be? I was going to read mine again today, but now he's got me worried. I am using the Sleepy head software. Anyone? I know I have to give the card to the insurance company at the end of the 30 day's.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does reading the data card erase the data?
No, that's ridiculous. In SleepyHead's case, it doesn't even touch the data or modify it. It copies from the SD card and saves it locally to the Sleepyhead folder and into the local Sleepyhead Database.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have any doubts, slide the data lock tab on the SD card. It prevents writing/erasing the data.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Have read the card many times, data is not erased. Locking the card is always a good precaution.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 01:02 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: My DME guy told me that if you remove the card and read it, it erases all the previous data. Huh? It's only a sim card, why would that be? I was going to read mine again today, but now he's got me worried. I am using the Sleepy head software. Anyone? I know I have to give the card to the insurance company at the end of the 30 day's.

What can and does happen is if you put the sd card into a windows 8.1 computer it will do something to the card. Then when you put it back in your Resmed, it will insist on formatting the card.

If you "lock" the card before you put it into the computer this will not happen.

This has nothing to do with Sleepyhead, it's just something that Windows 8.1 will do for you.

It's not actually the end of the world though. The card only keeps a few days of detailed data on it that cannot be replaced when it has been reinserted into the resmed. So after a few days you would never know anything happened.

The summary data will always be rewritten to the card by the resmed. It's just the detail stuff that's a concern.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marnid! No, the DME is either ignorant or trying to keep you from taking control of your own healthcare. My Respironics machine has the same type card your ResMed machine does. I've been using Sleepy head for years now but just the other day I loaded up the latest version of the Respironics software called Encore. I tried to use the prior version a couple years ago but it would not work for me for some reason. I plugged in my card and 2 years worth of daya went from the card to the program, so no, Sleepyhead does not erase your card. To be safe with the new Windows 8.1 if you are using that, just slide the lock tab as suggested. Not a big deal.
Good luck!
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 01:55 PM)retired_guy Wrote: What can and does happen is if you put the sd card into a windows 8.1 computer it will do something to the card. Then when you put it back in your Resmed, it will insist on formatting the card.

Windows 8.1 formats the card to the NTFS file system. The S9 wants it in FAT32 format.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just throwing some info out there. I have a PRS1 460 and am running Win 8.1 Pro. I read my SD card from the CPAP machine almost every day and never have "locked" the card. Win 8.1 has never written anything to the card and it's never reformatted the card. My CPAP machine has never given me any kind of warning or error message when reinserting the card.

Now, having said all that, I highly suggest that you do lock the card just in case.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 01:02 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: My DME guy told me that if you remove the card and read it, it erases all the previous data. Huh? It's only a sim card, why would that be? I was going to read mine again today, but now he's got me worried. I am using the Sleepy head software. Anyone? I know I have to give the card to the insurance company at the end of the 30 day's.

Hi Marnid2014, welcome to the Forum!
Thanks for asking this question as it has been a concern of mine. I have been told by the person I am hiring from not to read the card. BUT of course I didn't listen to her, I listened to the good people on this forum and I downloaded SleepyHead.
Your question has always been at the back of my mind though, thinking I will take the machine back and there will be no data available.
Anyway, all the answers you have received have put my mind at rest.
I just don't understand when some people have said to 'lock' the card, to make extra sure we don't lose information. I'm not sure how to lock it.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a little slide switch on the left side when looking at the top of the card with the contact area pointing away from you. You slide that switch toward the end of the card to "protect" the card from being accidentally written or formatted.

[Image: id1102_extreme4.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 215 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 399 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 172 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.