Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does the 80/20 insurance really save over a self purchase?
Does the 80/20 insurance really save over a self purchase?
Was just wondering if going thru a local DME really saves anyone any $$$ as compared to an internet purchase. Your deductible and 80/20 deal with insurance and possible higher of a machine locally.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does the 80/20 insurance really save over a self purchase?
It depends on how much your insurance allows the DME to charge for the machine and equipment. If they go by medicare you can download the price chart that Medicare allows for your state. You can compare those costs with the online costs and get an idea.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2018, 12:07 PM)Hellodare Wrote: Was just wondering if going thru a local DME really saves anyone any $$$ as compared to an internet purchase. Your deductible and 80/20 deal with insurance and possible higher of a machine locally.

Typically, if you had an 80/20 plan you'd pay around 40% of the cost of the best internet deals (for new machines). In other words, DME "retail" prices are typically double "internet" prices. That's still a savings with insurance (and counts towards a deductible).

That's leaving aside lightly used machines from a trusted retailer or the wild-west of something like Craigslist.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ya, I'm on 100%, but get an invoice that details what Apria is billing Kaiser.
For the most part, the billed amounts are the same as I'd pay, some items such as filters are a bit less.
Where they are screwing us is on the hoses. They are billing Kaiser $17 for a hose, which is half what it would cost to buy the Resmed Slimline tubing, but it's the same thin, crinkly, generic crap tubing that I can get online for $7.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Preferred provider prices should be less I thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2018, 12:43 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: It depends on how much your insurance allows the DME to charge for the machine and equipment. If they go by medicare you can download the price chart that Medicare allows for your state. You can compare those costs with the online costs and get an idea.

Where can I download the price chart?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a link https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fe...edule.html
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have any deductibles that need to be met first before insurance pays?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had 100% of my deductibles met last year and I thought I could buy the machine. My doctor wrote a new prescription. I found out I can only rent to own. I ended up taking a risk by buying one from Ebay with a 160 hours on it. for $240.00. Its a gamble but our healthcare system is not patient friendly.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,515 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,861 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.