Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does the OSA morning headache ever go away?
Does the OSA morning headache ever go away?
I want to be clear. I'm not talking about migraines or any other headache then the one that you get when you wake up in the morning that correlates with being tired and fatigued. The one I believe is from lack of oxygen and an increase in carbon dioxide.

Well I'm wearing a temp CpAP mask. Not sure how well it works because I don't sleep too well and when I wake up I am tired but can't go back to sleep unless I take off the mask.

But here is what I want to discuss. What is the official name of this type of headache. Please only respond if you are familiar with it, I'm not talking about migraines or any other headache, only the morning headache that correlates with your sleep.

Why isn't their an official name? What causes it? what is the cure for it? Is it possible to wear the Cpap and have it not go away? why does it go away faster for others? Do some people never get it to go away?

Thanks. Again, I'm not talking about real headaches, but only this particular one, so please no migraine headache responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does the OSA morning headache ever go away?
In my case the difference between having the headaches and not was just 1.5 cm H2o pressure. Before CPAP they were strong headaches. When I used CPAP at 8 cm my events were very low but I still had occasional sleep headache. With my new auto BiPAP and a little more pressure I no longer have them.
Good luck erasing them.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes they do go away....mine went away with the first night of cpap use and have not been back since....that was May 15th. Good luck with your treatment.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Enhander,
How much sleep are you getting! I thought I read in your other post that you sleep 2 to 3 hours at most. Do you try to go back to sleep hooked up to CPAP or are you falling back asleep without CPAP?

If you are not getting an adequate amount of sleep with your machine, then you will continue to have those morning headaches.

The good news is that they do go away with continued therapy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine left the day I started cpap, and only re-appeared the time I slept for *1* hour in the morning without the cpap by accident. Even though I had 6 hours of papped sleep before the 1. Apparently just having apnea events (desats?) cause them.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify, I think we are speaking of three different headache scenarios. Headaches that are cured by xPAP, headaches not cured by xPAP, and headaches caused by xPAP.

IIRC, the question was about headaches caused by xPAP, so I am going to answer that question.

I did not have headaches before xPAP. And I didn't even have many visible OSA symptoms at all. On xPAP I had headaches for about 6 months, and they finally went away, hopefully for good (I am shy of a year by now). Oddly enough, I did not have them in the morning all that much, but in the afternoon, gone by evening. I would have to assume they were caused by xPAP, by adjusting to xPAP.

So it is a tunnel with no light at the end (until the light finally appears), and there is no telling when, or if, for a particular patient. But my tunnel had an eventual light, so maybe all tunnels do. But since xPAP might add decades, plural, to your life, it is not an excuse to give up. Stick it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE this topic;

The OP has been engaged on the other board in a futile attempt to gain relief from his symptoms. If you refer to his earlier post on this forum:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tal-oxygen
you will see that many folks have tried, and failed to help him. It is best that he obtain help from a local, expert source that can compassionately,
and skillfully help him, which a remote, social media board cannot do.

Please help this young man by encouraging him to get local expert help, his problems are beyond our skill set...

sincerely,

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2015, 06:15 PM)storywizard Wrote: RE this topic;

The OP has been engaged on the other board in a futile attempt to gain relief from his symptoms. If you refer to his earlier post on this forum:
you will see that many folks have tried, and failed to help him. It is best that he obtain help from a local, expert source that can compassionately,

Please help this young man by encouraging him to get local expert help, his problems are beyond our skill set...

sincerely,

Storywizard

I agree! However, I do want to add my 2 cents FWIW. This person wakes with some type of headache just about every day. That says to me there is a good chance that it's OSA related. If it is, the only way this person will find the answers he seeks is by using a mask-machine every single night for at least 6 months, no matter how difficult he finds that to be. He wants to know the "name" of his particular headaches. Maybe a doctor would know but I seriously doubt if anyone here has a name for his headaches.

Now I'll repeat what you said Storywizard; he needs local expert help from professionals, and the kindest thing to do is to repeat that to him over and over.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2015, 05:29 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Enhander,
How much sleep are you getting! I thought I read in your other post that you sleep 2 to 3 hours at most. Do you try to go back to sleep hooked up to CPAP or are you falling back asleep without CPAP?

If you are not getting an adequate amount of sleep with your machine, then you will continue to have those morning headaches.

The good news is that they do go away with continued therapy.

Yea usually a few hours on the CPAP. I wake up and struggle to sleep WITH the Cpap and I know I'm not supposed to take it off when I go back to sleep, but it's VERY DIFFICULT to sleep with it, in fact I feel it wakes me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2015, 06:15 PM)storywizard Wrote: RE this topic;

sincerely,

Storywizard

Sorry have to bump this...with compassion and metta

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,226 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  [Equipment] Do you turn off your Airsense in the morning after using? dharma2255 9 250 04-10-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Wake up very early circa 4AM with bad headache, any help appreciated. new2paphopeful 1 144 03-30-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 200 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 242 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 2,105 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  Very Low AHI Still Extremely Tired / Waking with Headache exchanged 1 458 01-23-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.