Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does the S9 Vpap Auto Adapt machine heat up?
Does the S9 Vpap Auto Adapt machine heat up?
One of the many problems I had with my Respironics Bipap ASV is that the machine itself heated up as it worked. I do not tolerate heated air so it was a big problem. I had to run it with no filters to keep it at all tolerable.

Does the S9 machine heat up as it works?

If so what can I do to keep it cool?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does the S9 Vpap Auto Adapt machine heat up?
(01-07-2014, 03:09 PM)goodonya Wrote: One of the many problems I had with my Respironics Bipap ASV is that the machine itself heated up as it worked. I do not tolerate heated air so it was a big problem. I had to run it with no filters to keep it at all tolerable.
Hi goodonya
The heat comes from the humidifier, not from the machine. You can remove the humidifier and connect the hose directly into the machine so you breathe room air. If the room is cold, you,ll breathe cold air and warm air if the room air is warm, also don,t run the machine without the filter

If wanted, you can fill the tank with water but turn humidity off so you get some moisture but no heat (passover mode)
Post Reply Post Reply
I am asking if the S9 machine itself heats up.

I am aware of the humidifier as a heating element. I will use the reservoir but not the heat.

When your machine has worked through the night or when you awaken in the night can you put your hand on your machine and find that it is warm or hot to the touch?

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2014, 03:57 PM)goodonya Wrote: When your machine has worked through the night or when you awaken in the night can you put your hand on your machine and find that it is warm or hot to the touch?
Sorry have not had my morning cuppa, my machine does not feel either warm or hot to the touch.
If happen to get up during the night, usually press the button to lit up the screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi goodonya,
My S9AutoSet doesn't feel warm or hot to the touch as I use it.
I wouldn't think the ASV machine you're looking into would feel hot or warm as you use it but, hopefully, someone with one of those machines will weigh in on this discussion.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2014, 03:09 PM)goodonya Wrote: One of the many problems I had with my Respironics Bipap ASV is that the machine itself heated up as it worked. I do not tolerate heated air so it was a big problem. I had to run it with no filters to keep it at all tolerable.

Does the S9 machine heat up as it works?

If so what can I do to keep it cool?

I have the VPAP Adapt and haven't noticed it getting hot. My pressures usually max out around 21, but don't stay at that level for very long.

I keep mine in a bedside drawer and only open the drawer enough for the hose to move freely, so it's not getting very much ventilation in there. If it was to heat up I would move it to my bedside table for a bit more fresh air, but haven't found this necessary, even in very hot weather.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ah good thanks guys. It is a big deal for me. I am getting ready to order one of these.
Post Reply Post Reply
The filter is there to keep dust and crude out of the machine's electric motor. By taking it out of the machine you are likely allowing dirt and dust to collect inside the motor and clog things up. And in the long run, that will make the machine have to work harder and conceivably lead to a potential overheating problem.

Of course, if the filter is clogged, that can also lead to a potential overheating problem. That's why it's important to clean the reusable gray filter on a regular basis and replace the (optional) white paper filter on a regular basis.

How often do you wash the gray filter???

goodonya Wrote:When your machine has worked through the night or when you awaken in the night can you put your hand on your machine and find that it is warm or hot to the touch?
If you are using a clean filter and the blower unit of your machine is HOT to the touch in the middle of the night, there is something WRONG. The blower unit does NOT get noticeably warm when you are running it.

You need to contact the DME and have them check the machine out. If it takes several hours for the machine to get warm/hot to the touch, you need to tell them that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi robysue,
I did use the filters. I rinsed and dried the gray filter regularly. I am very clean with my machine. I also used the white filters. The machine heated up. I reported it to the DME that it heated up. I stopped using the white filters and just stuck with the gray. It ran cooler that way. I consider the gray to be barely a filter. It keeps the chunks and hairs out. I used it and washed it and replaced it.

The heating problem continued on. I found it to be getting worse. I took the machine in and they replaced it. Later I found out that they replaced it with a machine with no warrantee. The new certified machine did well for a few months and same thing I gradually ended up running it without the white filter and just the gray.
It continued to get hotter. I would take it in and talk with the DME. That is how I found out I no longer had a warranteed machine. They would test it and tell me it was fine. The machine then stuck on searching algorithm inhale and exhale. Tested fine too. I am done with the whole brand and machine. It was too much. I do not live in town. I spent an ungodly amount in travel and time and effort on a situation that not only did not get better it got worse.
I rode this turkey right on down into the dust doing all the prescribed things and following DME advice interacting as needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2014, 03:36 AM)goodonya Wrote: I am getting ready to order one of these.

Where are you planning to order it from?

On the S9 VPAP Adapt and S9 VPAP ST the pressure setting can go only up to 25 cm H2O. On the S9 VPAP ST-A it can go up to 30, so perhaps it would have an upgraded blower.

Like the S9 VPAP Adapt, the S9 VPAP ST-A can treat both obstructive and central apneas. The S9 VPAP ST-A adjusts itself more gradually than the S9 VPAP Adapt, but in some respects the S9 VPAP ST-A is more advanced (but perhaps less simple to operate).

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 369 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,337 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 313 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,132 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.