Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does this look normal? [flow data]
RE: Does this look normal? [flow data]
maybe leak lags flow on a breath by breath basis but if there's a leak it'll show and if it's a related leak it should show up in close proximity to the flow in question, particularly as the flows in question are a few seconds long.(?) may not be definitive but a potential indicator. guess we'll have to see the leak graph to know. don't mean to distract from the initial question at all. I think we're still on topic, trying to weigh competing explanations.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does this look normal?
(09-03-2018, 08:10 PM)vsheline Wrote: It may be instructive to see the waveforms for Flow and Leak shown next to each other for easy comparison. 

Here's a shot of my flow rate and leak rate:
[attachment=8079]

(09-03-2018, 08:10 PM)vsheline Wrote: In my view, the Flow waveform shown in allenri’s posted data indicates an obstructive condition during exhalation (while EPR would be reducing pressure), because it looks to me like airway restriction is interfering with his exhalations.

A few things:
  1. I don't use EPR (except for ramp)
  2. I feel like my leak situation is pretty good.  (i.e. not too many leaks)
  3. I don't think I'm leaking from my mouth outside of my full face mask.  I'm not sure how I'd do that ...
  4. I DO feel like my throat closes off a fair amount when I exhale through my nose into my mask.  It can happen more than once when exhaling a single breath. I'll be exhaling through my nose, and then something in the back of my throat closes off, and then the air stops, and my F20 mask makes a sort of clicking sound.  My sense is that this happens mostly during ramp, but maybe it happens all the time.  I'll try turning ramp off tonight to see.
Post Reply Post Reply
I spent a minute to two after putting my mask on last night trying to recreate the feeling of my throat closing off the airway through my nose while exhaling.  Here's what it looks like:
[attachment=8085]

I think this happens quite a lot throughout the night.

P.S. Ignore the AHI. Sleepyhead is not noting events from part of my night, because of that importing bug I reported in a separate thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
ok, well, I'm in way over my head; I'll leave it to others to decipher. looks like leak was between about 13-20, not quite redline at peak but leakage nonetheless. still, you'd think a leak big enough to produce a flat line in the absence of an obstruction would be over the redline. wondering if it can't be both an obstruction and a leak. waveform (and allen's description) looks (sounds) a bit like yrnkrn's palatal collapse. see last page of this thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ht=palatal
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 725 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 369 11 hours ago
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 74 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 296 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 268 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 187 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 109 8,762 04-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.