Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: 5I
CPAP Pressure: Unsure
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Does this make sense? High leak low AHI
Although I have felt more alert in the afternoon since using Cpap, lately my 4 month old swift fx nasal pillow seems to be leaking more easily when I move (no mouth breathing anymore). Here's what I don't understand. I've had consecutive nights of high leak rates (22ml-26ml) with AHI's of .1 or .2 which is better than nights with low leak rates. I guess I have to tighten the straps a bit more but I woke up with some marks which tok a while to go away in the morning when I tightened the straps last time.
04-20-2015 09:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

RE: Does this make sense? High leak low AHI
If your leak rate is below 26, you really don't have to do anything.

Take a look at your leak graph. Is it always in the range of 20-26, or does it just get there once in awhile? What is the average (mean) leak rate?

Sometimes in trying too hard to have perfect leak numbers we end up compromising comfort or mask integrity. So don't do that. Wash the pillows, replace them if they're getting old, use a little lanolin on your nose to help the seal. But don't be tightening up too much on the straps. You're doing very well where you're at, so you don't want to break it in your zeal to improve it.
04-20-2015 09:24 PM
trailrider Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: A10 Autoset for Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Eson or P10
Humidifier: autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 DME, 7-13 me

Other Comments: engineer. EPR at 3, unheated hose, humidity at 2. Routine hose entanglement.

Sex: Female

Hi Daso, pillows wear out over time and need replacing...about every 3-4 months. You may need a new set. On the other hand, if you don't care about the leak rate and have low AHI, don't worry about it. I preordered a set of three off the internet so I will have them on hand in the future when needed.
04-20-2015 09:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Daso Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: 5I
CPAP Pressure: Unsure

Other Comments:

(04-20-2015 09:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  If your leak rate is below 26, you really don't have to do anything.

Take a look at your leak graph. Is it always in the range of 20-26, or does it just get there once in awhile? What is the average (mean) leak rate?

Sometimes in trying too hard to have perfect leak numbers we end up compromising comfort or mask integrity. So don't do that. Wash the pillows, replace them if they're getting old, use a little lanolin on your nose to help the seal. But don't be tightening up too much on the straps. You're doing very well where you're at, so you don't want to break it in your zeal to improve it.

I typically have leak rates in the 5-7ml range but what is confusing to me is that since I've had the leaking over the past week, my AHI's have been consistently better .1-.2 vs .5-.7 AHI. I have a hard time really understanding the sleepyhead data
(04-20-2015 09:25 PM)trailrider Wrote:  Hi Daso, pillows wear out over time and need replacing...about every 3-4 months. You may need a new set. On the other hand, if you don't care about the leak rate and have low AHI, don't worry about it. I preordered a set of three off the internet so I will have them on hand in the future when needed.

I'm going to order a replacement pillow tomorrow, thanks
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 12:11 AM by Daso.)
04-21-2015 12:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  One good night, now leak issues? sleepyguy99 8 314 Yesterday 02:17 PM
Last Post: sleepyguy99
  Can home care provider make our machine unusable? LPN2012 10 338 12-01-2016 05:22 AM
Last Post: LPN2012
  [Pressure] Another New Player with Some Leak Issues Platypus 6 224 11-28-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking... hegel 11 738 11-27-2016 09:53 PM
Last Post: Dangerous Dave
  Not so new member having mask leak issues erikk 9 351 11-26-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: erikk
  Leak rate abrun7 8 422 11-22-2016 09:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,174 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher