Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does this seem odd to anyone else? Adjustments.
Does this seem odd to anyone else? Adjustments.
Ok so we all know I have a brick, anyone that didn't know now knows too. I have been looking to buy a new unit for myself and my own therapy.

Lately my wife has been complaining that despite sleeping with the unit I am cranky and in the last week or so I started waking up tired. I've also been noting some gas, and some headaches.

Anyhow I called my sleep Dr a day or two ago, and I explained the situation. My hope was they would have me come in and check it out. I also hoped at that time I might ask for a replacement machine that would record data. Needless to say Doc wasn't in so I left the message with the nice young lady that I spoke with and she said he's call me back.

Today I get a call back from the nice young lady, I missed the call, and so she left a very nice message. She said the Doc had put in an order to change the pressure on my system from 18 to 13. No come in, no tests, no nada, just lower the pressure.

Does this make sense? Should it be done like this with no back up information? Just seems strange to me. Looking for you guys with experience to weigh in with your opinions.

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does this seem odd to anyone else? Adjustments.
(08-22-2014, 09:01 PM)Galactus Wrote: She said the Doc had put in an order to change the pressure on my system from 18 to 13.

Without any data that seems like a really stupid thing to do. It's also hard to imagine a scenario where the data would lead to that prescription. Call your equipment provider to verify that the doctor really did submit that order.

Your best bet is to get a good machine. The one you have now will still serve you well as a back up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some very nice used machines are on sale on another apnea forum to benefit a forum member whose husband has just begun home hospice. The prices seem low (but of course, there is no warranty) and STLMark is selling them for the other forum member. STLMark has an excellent reputation for selling used machines on the other forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 09:01 PM)Galactus Wrote: My hope was they would have me come in and check it out.

...the Doc had put in an order to change the pressure on my system from 18 to 13. No come in, no tests, no nada, just lower the pressure.

Does this make sense?

No! This makes no sense at all. In my experience, the only thing that makes sense is to get a self-titrating, autoset type device and tweak the pressure settings until Sleepyhead shows the results you want and need.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 06:46 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: No! This makes no sense at all. In my experience, the only thing that makes sense is to get a self-titrating, autoset type device and tweak the pressure settings until Sleepyhead shows the results you want and need.

I agree. But even with a fixed CPAP the same thing can be done. It just takes a lot more time and effort.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 09:01 PM)Galactus Wrote: ...I am cranky and in the last week or so I started waking up tired. I've also been noting some gas, and some headaches...

What you told the doc is suggestive of a need for increased pressure -- except for aerophagia. Passing information back and forth through an intermediary often results in the message getting garbled.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Given that you have a brick machine, that might not be too bad of an idea. Try the lower pressure and see how you feel. As long as the doc is willing to change it back if the change doesn't work. 18 down to 13 seems like a big jump, though.

It should help with the gas.

Of course, this highlights why it's unconscionable for a doctor to allow them to dispense a non-data capable CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
You said (or your wife said): "I am cranky and in the last week or so I started waking up tired. I've also been noting some gas, and some headaches."

The nurse/receptionist/doctor heard: "I have gas."

Solution? Lower the pressure. My confidence in the accuracy of their in-depth analysis? About none.

Post Reply Post Reply
No it does not make much sense and unless you can discuss this directly WITH your doctor and resolve how he came to such a decision that satisfies you as to his competent practice then you should find a new doc.

When you talk to this doc, or the new one, emphasize that you believe an APAP machine would allow for much more accurate therapy and that a full data machine would be the most efficacious.

Then ask the doc to write a SPECIFIC prescription for a Resmed S9 AUTOSET (or similar machine). He can write the prescription any way he wishes and this will usually get you covered by insurance -- at least it has a chance to do so.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Swallowing air (aerophagia) can be relieved by lowering the pressure, but lowering it from 18 to 13 would not be a good way to handle the situation. If a pressure of 18 is needed to keep your airway from collapsing then a pressure of 13 would result in lots of obstruction.

A better way is to use a bi-level machine (a ResMed VPAP or a Respironics BiPAP) that lowers the pressure only when you exhale.

Meanwhile, at least make sure that C-Flex is set at its maximum value of 3.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 583 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 172 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto - Adjustments sleepy9994 11 1,360 10-28-2023, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Air pressure adjustments Jeromer 14 1,359 10-12-2023, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.