Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does this sound like OSA and what could be causing it?
Does this sound like OSA and what could be causing it?
For the last few weeks, I have woke up at random times during the night, almost always after a dream. These dreams have involved stressful experiences, erotic experiences, random experiences and even mundane experiences. I don't feel like I am deprived of air when I wake up. However, I had a somewhat dry mouth this morning when I woke up. And felt tired, irritable and unmotivated for a majority of the day. I am a skinny 23 year old male with no known health problems. What could be causing this all of a sudden? Does anybody else have a similar story regarding this and would be able to give some insight on the issue?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does this sound like OSA and what could be causing it?
The only way to diagnosis sleep apnea is with a sleep test. Discuss this with your physician.

Dreams with sleep apnea can be odd due to the lack of deep enough REM sleep. But odd dreams and dry mouth can be caused by a wide range of things.

Take the Daytime Sleepiness Test and take it to your Doc if the results concern you.
http://www.apneaboard.com/sleep-apnea-in...iness-test
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TML1991
I don't know for sure if this relevant to you or not but no harm in sharing my experience

Before been diagnosed with sleep apnea, at times used to have some bad dreams like someone punching me and I wake up from sleep find myself punching the pillows in return
I have not talked about it to anyone at that time but while back I came across REM behavior sleep disorder (RBD) which explain my situation
Normally when people dreams are deep asleep and don't act on their dreams but people with RBD act on their dreams
My case was a mild one but there are some scary ones

Since been on PAP, I have not had such dreams and I don't missed them .. good ridden
Post Reply Post Reply
If the OSA is bad enough (like mine is/was), you never dream because you never make it to REM stage in your (so-called) sleep.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2014, 12:38 AM)Peter_C Wrote: If the OSA is bad enough (like mine is/was), you never dream because you never make it to REM stage in your (so-called) sleep.

Last night, I didn't get into deep sleep at all. I didn't wake up with the dry mouth this morning, which seems to be a one time thing so far. However, I did sleep on my side a lot last night. I read that helps with apnea, which I am not quite sure if I have or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome, the only way to know is to see your MD and get a sleep test.
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TML1991,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Talk to your doc about this and get set up for a sleep study as it is the only way to find out if you have sleep apnea for sure.
Much success and keep up posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2014, 12:38 AM)Peter_C Wrote: If the OSA is bad enough (like mine is/was), you never dream because you never make it to REM stage in your (so-called) sleep.

We've begun to realize that people dream in other stages of sleep, not just REM. The dreams are a bit different, but they're still dreams.

PBS/Nova had a program "What are dreams?" that had some interesting information.

Dreams vs. apnea are highly variable. Some people have more dreams, some have less. Dreams of choking, running out of air, etc. are common, but you may have other kinds of dreams, including nightmares.

You may or may not feel out of breath when you wake up.

CPAP similarly may increase or decrease dreams or the memory of dreams.

As for the rest of it, it could be apnea, but it could be other medical conditions, or nothing medical at all. There are a number of different apnea questionnaires on the web, but they're not definitive.

You can also buy a recording pulse oximeter, and see if your blood O2 drops during the night, but while O2 drops strongly suggest apnea, not everyone has an O2 drop even if they have severe apnea. Be sure you get a RECORDING oximeter, since you need the data from when you're asleep. Even a few seconds after you wake up, your O2 will be back to normal.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night, I slept in 2-3 hour cycles, from 11:30 PM to 7:30 AM. Is this typical among the people on here?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2014, 02:50 PM)TML1991 Wrote: Last night, I slept in 2-3 hour cycles, from 11:30 PM to 7:30 AM. Is this typical among the people on here?
Typical for me before the diagnoses, also waking up with terrible headache and dry mouth
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 186 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 264 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 424 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,775 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.