Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does this sound like OSA and what could be causing it?
RE: Does this sound like OSA and what could be causing it?
(12-05-2014, 03:16 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 02:50 PM)TML1991 Wrote: Last night, I slept in 2-3 hour cycles, from 11:30 PM to 7:30 AM. Is this typical among the people on here?
Typical for me before the diagnoses, also waking up with terrible headache and dry mouth

Was there any underlying reason for the apnea? Or did it just start randomly?
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless there are more symptoms than what you have described, this really doesn't sound like OSA to me. As advised, ask your doctor about a sleep test if you remain concerned. OSA isn't something that typically just suddenly happens to skinny 23 year olds unless there is something else going on as well. Illness or damage to the breathing passages?

But even if you are experiencing OSA it's not something to get too stressed out about. Just talk to the docs and go from there. If it's OSA then you will need to treat it sometime in the next few years.

And still, I think it's just as likely the pepperoni pizza you had just before bedtime as it is OSA.

But talk to your doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2014, 04:10 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Unless there are more symptoms than what you have described, this really doesn't sound like OSA to me. As advised, ask your doctor about a sleep test if you remain concerned. OSA isn't something that typically just suddenly happens to skinny 23 year olds unless there is something else going on as well. Illness or damage to the breathing passages?

But even if you are experiencing OSA it's not something to get too stressed out about. Just talk to the docs and go from there. If it's OSA then you will need to treat it sometime in the next few years.

And still, I think it's just as likely the pepperoni pizza you had just before bedtime as it is OSA.

But talk to your doc.

Could diabetes cause it? I don't believe I have diabetes, but it does run in my family, on both sides.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2014, 03:49 PM)TML1991 Wrote: Was there any underlying reason for the apnea? Or did it just start randomly?
Apnea is not a random thing, either you have or you don't
Get a sleep study done and put your mind at rest

Apnea attributed to many heath problems including heart problems, stroke, sexual problems, accidents, depression, etc ..
Sleep deprivation and oxygen suffocation during sleep is a serious problem, sleep is more important than food

Here is video presentation .. understanding sleep-disordered breathing (SDB)
http://www.resmed.com/ap/multimedia/unde...40x380.swf

Prof Colin E. Sullivan inventor of CPAP said: "Probably the best indicator of SDB, however, is simply the response to continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) treatment"
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2014, 06:07 PM)TML1991 Wrote: Could diabetes cause it? I don't believe I have diabetes, but it does run in my family, on both sides.

Geezzz TML, you really need to quit giving yourself things.. Go see Mr. Doctor and have a health workup. Then quit worrying about stuff and nonsense that you probably don't have, certainly don't need, and hopefully don't want.

I still think it's the pepperoni pizza....
Post Reply Post Reply
A genetic predisposition to diabetes means it's something to keep in mind.
As for affecting sleep, undiagnosed diabetes means increased blood glucose; and increased urination which may send a person to urinate during the night. They nearly give away meters because the profit is in the strips. You can always pick one up a do some morning spot checks.

Discuss these things with your doctor. There may be other situational issues in your life that are affecting your sleep.

Limit alcohol and caffeine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2014, 12:38 AM)Peter_C Wrote: If the OSA is bad enough (like mine is/was), you never dream because you never make it to REM stage in your (so-called) sleep.

I rarely dreamed prior to APAP treatment; now I dream regularly. Thankfully, nightmares are rare.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept from 12:00 AM to 4:30 AM last night, with difficulty sleeping again after that. It felt deeper than usual, and no noticeable dreams occurred this time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, does sleep apnea make it hard to fall asleep during the day, when you think you might want to take a nap?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2014, 07:52 PM)TML1991 Wrote: Also, does sleep apnea make it hard to fall asleep during the day, when you think you might want to take a nap?

Now I always nap with my PAP. There are other sleep disorders beside apnea
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 221 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,657 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 265 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 316 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 478 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 323 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 239 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.