Does your AHI vary when you change masks?
old dude Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One BiPap Auto Bi-Flex 760P
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: RM Quattro Mirage, Quattro Air, Quattro FX
Humidifier: PR System One HT DS6TFLG
CPAP Pressure: 15/11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Does your AHI vary when you change masks?
Often if I've been using a particular FFM for a while but then change abruptly to a different FFM to give my nose a rest for a few nights, I'll get an uptick in AHI readings-say from around 2.0 to as much as 4.0. The variation is always upward-never down. After a couple of nights it seems that I acclimate to the new mask and my AHI levels return to normal for me.

No other variables of (of which I'm aware) will have changed, and even leak levels usually remain the same across different masks.

Is this likely actually due to changing masks, or is it just a fluke that I should ignore? And as long as my AHI is under 5.0 do I need to worry about the difference between a 1 and a 5 in the first place?

It's hard not to "chase" better numbers...
09-03-2013 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Does your AHI vary when you change masks?
Yes, it can change. At least mine does.

My theory is it is different so we sleep different. Maybe it is not as comfortable so we don't sleep well or we sleep in a different position. Or it is more comfortable so we sleep deeper which equals more relaxed which equals higher AHI.

And it is very hard to not chase the numbers! I want to tweak all I can to squeeze out the best I can get.

In this case, though, forget the AHI and concentrate on how you feel. If you feel the same, then move along, nothing to tweak here. But if you feel worse (or better), then you will want to look into the why.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-03-2013 01:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Resmed AirFit F20, & N20 Masks gjw 25 3,057 12-08-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Pressure] Change Pressure on AirCurve 10 VAuto info 31 4,970 12-08-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: _cy_
  [Pressure] How to change pressure - Respironics Solo slgoltz 5 20,036 11-30-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: randx2
Question Change Humidity Level Seasonally txpap 9 530 11-21-2016 06:58 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Smile [News] CUSTOM 3-D PRINTED MASKS srlevine1 2 282 11-17-2016 10:29 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  Anyone heard of Apnea Options for custom masks? terp1984 14 4,729 10-27-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: outdoor
  pressure change cwvincent 2 357 10-16-2016 04:22 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred