Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis]  Sleep Study Results - Please provide your thoughts
RE: Sleep Study Results - Please provide your thoughts
Hey everyone! So I was prescribed a CPAP machine, which the the doctor said comes with a chip to record it's use. He also prescribed deoxopin, asit will help me get to sleep, in low doses and he can up the dose to help treat depression, which makes sense, since this whole ordeal has taken a toll on me mentally.

I hope to get the machine in the next couple of days and he wants to see me back in 4 weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good for you!

Now, a word of warning. Getting used to CPAP therapy can be a torturous process. Some people experience claustrophobic fear wearing a mask. Most people will have to try several different masks before they find one that works for them, both in terms of fit (leak control) and comfort. Many people take some time getting used to having a pressurized mask on their face.

Your CPAP machine will come with a ramp button as one of the controls. It basically immediately sets the machine to its lowest possible pressure setting (typically 4 cmH2O) and linearly increases the pressure over a period of time. This will allow you to get to sleep at a lower pressure, but get the treatment pressure you need as you sleep. USE IT. It is your friend. Eventually you will outgrow it and be able to have the machine start off at full pressure as soon as you put your mask on, but that takes some time.

Yes, you are not alone or crazy. Most of us reading your posts are nodding our head thinking "I remember when I was there".
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2013, 10:00 AM)nickaq Wrote: Hey everyone! So I was prescribed a CPAP machine, which the the doctor said comes with a chip to record it's use. He also prescribed deoxopin, asit will help me get to sleep, in low doses and he can up the dose to help treat depression, which makes sense, since this whole ordeal has taken a toll on me mentally.

I hope to get the machine in the next couple of days and he wants to see me back in 4 weeks.

Hi nickaq,

Be forewarned: Do not accept a CPAP machine which is not fully data-capable.

Here is a link to a good description of what type of machine to accept:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Be prepared to refuse the machine they offer you. Once you take a machine home you will likely be stuck with it. In fact, don't even go to pick it up until you know what machine they are planning to provide you.

Also, even before you go in to pick up your machine, you should ask right away for a copy of the prescription. (You will need it when you fly, to allow you to use it on the plane, and you will need it if you ever want to buy a mask from an on-line CPAP supplier.) Ideally the prescription will state a range for the pressure, which means you will be getting an Auto-adjusting PAP machine.

If your prescription does not prescribe a range, do not pick up a machine without first asking the doctor to change the prescription to include a pressure range.

If your doctor refuses (unlikely!) you can still prevail upon DME providers to provide you with an APAP but it would be set to operate in constant-pressure CPAP mode, not APAP mode. The mode of operation can be changed by your doctor (or you) at any time in the future. An APAP machine offers more treatment options, since it is like two machines in one. Your health insurance company probably has a list of CPAP providers and you can go through the list, calling each one on the list until you identify one who will want your business and will provide the machine you have chosen.

In fact, go ahead and ask the doctor to prescribe a ResMed S9 AutoSet or a Philips Respironics System One (PRS1) REMstar Auto. With humidifier and heated hose. The worst he can do is say no (unlikely!) and if he says "yes" it may save you from a lot of frustration.

Good luck!

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
i just got my lab results today from CPAP Titration Study and apparently my AHI was at a 103 and after my CPAP study (with a pressure of 8), they got it down to 0. I have not gotten my mask yet so when I do get it, I hope it helps Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone! I know for sure I am getting an auto PAP machine with a humidifier and that is data capable, which I hope to receive this week once insurance verification is complete.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 214 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.