Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does your CPAP mask dull the sense of smell
RE: Does your CPAP mask dull the sense of smell
I have several smoke detectors throughout the house, but being 58 year old, my hearing has started going bad. The ones in the basement are the ones, I might have a problem hearing at night.

I was just wondering if you could still smell smoke and other scents while using the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are doohickeys to signal a flashing light if a smoke detector goes off. Do a Google search for deaf smoke detector.

My bro and his family were almost killed a few years ago. My sis in law woke up not feeling well so she stayed home and slept. The kids came home from school and later started feeling ill as well. They figured it was a bug and they all had it. My brother got home also began not feeling well. Luckily, her mom came by to get something and, thinking to keep the bug from spreading to her, my sis in law went out to the front porch to wait and give her whatever it was. The longer she was out there, the better she felt. She mentioned this to her mother who ran into the house. She had to slap my brother to get him to move. Then the two of them carried the kids out. Then she went back in to talk the dogs out. Within minutes, they were all feeling much better. The fire department came and checked. There was a leak at their gas boiler. The paramedics checked their blood O2 and everyone was doing good. I think they should have all gone to the ER but they didn't. They left the dogs with a friend and they all slept in a hotel that night. They took the kids to the doc the following day but they were fine. They had smoke detectors but no carbon monoxide. They do now! Near the boiler, in each bedroom, the kitchen (gas stove) and the hallway.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2012, 02:14 PM)mikael26288 Wrote: I have several smoke detectors throughout the house, but being 58 year old, my hearing has started going bad. The ones in the basement are the ones, I might have a problem hearing at night.

I was just wondering if you could still smell smoke and other scents while using the mask.

There are networked smoke detectors where if one detector goes off, they ALL go off.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well seeing that the use of smoke detectors has been adequately covered, I'm going to address the issue of loss of smell over the long term. Since I've been using the CPAP for many years, my sense of smell has been greatly reduced. oldman Recent experiences have proven that I can no longer smell either kind of natural gas nor the stench of a sewage treatment plant. Rolleyes And stopping to smell the roses is a waste of time. The downside of this is that some foods are not much fun to eat anymore. Eat-popcorn
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm like bobg1946 in that I can no longer smell the rotten egg smell of propane or sewer. In fact I installed a gas detector in the kitchen to let me know if there is a leak. I used to have a very sensitive sense of smell but that's gone now. On the bright side, I used to suffer from chronic congestion and allergies. They also disappeared when I started CPAP. I'm not sure if it was a fair trade or not, but I guess sleeping better and not being congested all the time is not bad at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2012, 11:58 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: The downside of this is that some foods are not much fun to eat anymore. Eat-popcorn

Well the good side of that would be, being able to eat those yucky vegetables you could never stand to eat because of the smell or taste. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
While my sense of smell and taste is not what it once was, I am not going to rush to blame my CPAP. Between various asthma inhalers and nasal sprays, I would suspect them first before I would jump to the conclusion it is my CPAP. Just my 2 cents.
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't experienced any long term change in my sense of smell, although I do smell baby powder for a minute or so immediately after I take off the mask in the morning. I've noticed that this occurs the first week or two after I get a new nasal pillow, I think your nose "calibrates" to the smell of new silicone overnight, then when its gone you have a phantom baby powder smell.

As for smelling smoke, is too late, that's what smoke detectors are all about! As for changing the batteries, since I have AC powered & networked smoke detectors the batteries are for backup power outages so I do it once every 4 years, (leap, year, Olympics, USA Presidential elections).
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a known fact that as people get older, their sense of sense can decline. It has nothing to do with using CPAP, alone.
I am 69, and only have been using APAP for about a month. Yet, I've noticed my sense of smell hasn't been great for nearly 10 years. My wife, who is 62, complains when I can't appreciate the smell of her roses she cultivates.

Having said that CPAP probably doesn't worsen your sense of smell, I recently switched to Swift FX nasal pillows, which while wearing them, has actually increased my sense of smell. How is that possible? Well, when I make a bathroom run during the middle of the night, the thin short hose that comes with the pillow hangs down from my nose, making me look like an elephant with its trunk hanging down. Well, if you can picture this, you can then understand why my nose is now closer to odors that I would rather not smell while standing in the bathroom. In fact it is so offensive, I had to figure out a fix, which was to place the end of the tube into my pajamma shirt pocket. The fabric of the pocket serves as an odor filter of sorts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2012, 07:46 AM)DCwom Wrote: I haven't experienced any long term change in my sense of smell, although I do smell baby powder for a minute or so immediately after I take off the mask in the morning.

Thank you, that is the smell I have been trying to name. LOL

I have been having the same smell myself since I started using my machine. Yes it sure does smell like baby powder. Every morning when I take my mask off, I smell it and look all over the place to see what it might be. Guess it is just the mask for some reason.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,205 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 352 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.