Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does your DME provide a loaner if your xPAP needs repair?
Does your DME provide a loaner if your xPAP needs repair?
In talking to one of the reps at my DME I discovered that they don't. If the CPAP breaks I could have to wait 4 to 6 weeks if they can't repair it in house.  Is this customary?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does your DME provide a loaner if your xPAP needs repair?
(12-08-2017, 11:35 PM)DariaVader Wrote: In talking to one of the reps at my DME I discovered that they don't. If the CPAP breaks I could have to wait 4 to 6 weeks if they can't repair it in house.  Is this customary?

I was told by my DME that if repairs were made to a ResMed unit under warranty, they would provide a temporary replacement. 

If out-of-warranty repairs were required, I would need to rent a machine on a monthly basis and seek reimbursement from my insurance carrier. 

If the repair was extensive and cost more than a new machine or it could not be repaired, I could petition my insurance carrier to replace the machine. 

If the machine was older than five years, the machine would almost always be replaced without question.

I believe that Medicare will pick up 80% of a temporary rental while your machine is being repaired or authorize a new one if it cannot be repaired. Your supplementary insurance (if any) should pick up the balance per your policy coverage. 

Check with your insurance company for a more definitive answer. Or check with some of the providers listed in the forum suppliers list.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
It's one of the reasons that I have a back up machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Because of work and family travel I am going to need a travel xPAP.

I figure this travel xPAP machine will need to be smaller, hopefully less expensive than my primary xPAP will do double duty as my at home ready hot-swap backup machine.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it's very common. Most DMEs only provide a backup machine if you are still under a lease or lease-to-own. Some will provide a backup if your machine is still under the 2 year warranty. This is why having a backup is so important and why it's great that you can pick up a device via Craigslist.

I agree with srlevine1 that Medicare will pick up 80% of a rental while you machine is being repaired. However, it may be up to 2 weeks before you get a machine and you may not get the same machine as in your prescription (i.e. different brand, cpap instead of apap) unless they get it from the warehouse. It's just whatever they have on hand.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's why I have backups machines.

My nap machine (DeVillbiss Intellipap AutoAdjust - had like less than 12.2 hours total run time on it (yes, I went back and searched old threads where I first bought it) from a pawn shop, through Craigslist) cost like an insane $135 IIRC.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 327 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  [Equipment] resmed apap repair sleeper2460 4 514 11-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 595 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,585 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  Resmed BiPAP repair company in U.S? 17WRX 3 710 05-13-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Airfit P10 Repair JJJ 3 1,280 10-28-2022, 03:35 PM
Last Post: JungleJim
  Do it yourself REPAIR forum AC Hunter 1 917 09-14-2022, 09:28 PM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.