Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does your REM get longer each sleep cycle?
Does your REM get longer each sleep cycle?
Hi Everyone,

I've read online that as you go through the night each sleep cycle will have a longer REM portion than the prior sleep cycles from that night. 

I'm curious what you all see when you look at your REM sleep stages using OSCAR or a sleep tracker that flags REM? 

What I see in my own data in OSCAR and Apple Watch Sleep Stage Tracking is that I often follow a pattern like this:

- My first sleep cycle has a short REM burst of a few minutes
- My second or third sleep cycle is usually the longest REM for the whole night by quite a large margin
- My remaining 1-3 sleep cycles have short to medium length REM periods that are much shorter than the second cycle

Counting REM duration in OSCAR is a little tricky but I'm going off of the undulating flow rate periods that look like footballs lined up next to each other.  These time periods roughly match up to what my Apple Watch also flags as REM.

Does this line up with what you see?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does your REM get longer each sleep cycle?
I use FitBit and last night it shows I went into REM 4 times. Each shorter than previous. 62 min, then 44 minutes, then 35 and finally 22. Each almost exactly 1 hour apart.

I have not researched this to know what is expected. But the opposite of what you stated.  

I don’t see any correlation in OSCAR.

Dont-know
-- Bill
Struggling to keep the air moving like everyone else …  ?

Standard Disclaimer:
I'm just a CPAP user like you. I can't give medical advice. 
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does your REM get longer each sleep cycle?
Quick search on the internet and I see articles stating what you said. But looking at my data and my wife's, it does not fit. 

Of the things that change during REM, only breathing would be in OSCAR by default. I use SpO2 data also so I can see pulse also. But I don’t see the correlation in OSCAR.
Dont-know  

Both Apple and Firbit claim a lot of research in their sleep algorithms. I don’t know which may be better. 
Eat-popcorn
-- Bill
Struggling to keep the air moving like everyone else …  ?

Standard Disclaimer:
I'm just a CPAP user like you. I can't give medical advice. 
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 223 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 253 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 713 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,417 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 2,073 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Pilot-24 no longer recognizes CPAP DanDV 1 695 08-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 834 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.