Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does your brain learn not to mouth breathe?
RE: Does your brain learn not to mouth breathe?
(10-09-2017, 12:01 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Can I expect not to have to use tape/collar/jaw lift forever? Once your body gets used to breathing entirely through the nose instead of the mouth you don't need any of that stuff?

You are not alone and gee do I feel for you.
I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis that aggravates my apnea. (chicken or egg?)
Long before I began CPAP I learned to extend my neck with small pillow behind my neck. This tends to pull my mouth open AND makes a gap around a FFM. I am not a mouth breather during waking hours. I have tried every suggestion here and the only thing that works with any consistency is taping my mouth shut. Taping is only partially successful as some of the time the tape becomes wet and peels loose. ARRRGGGG !
Barfing into a taped Oh-jeez shut mouth is quite an experience
I hope the time is coming there will be a face scan and printed mask solution though I imagine the FDA is the primary obstacle to that solution.

Good look and please report back if you find a solution.
Thanks
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2017, 12:45 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Taping is only partially successful as some of the time the tape becomes wet and peels loose. ARRRGGGG ! 

3M Micropore stays on even when wet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2017, 12:45 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: .
I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis that aggravates my apnea. (chicken or egg?}
Long before I began CPAP I learned to extend my neck with small pillow behind my neck. This tends to pull my mouth open AND makes a gap around a FFM. I am not a mouth breather during waking hours. I have tried every suggestion here and the only thing that works with any consistency is taping my mouth shut.

I know someone that uses one of those stretchy bands Physios use for exercises, he stretches it round his mouth and tapes it, this forces him to breath through his nose, but he uses Nasal Pillows.  I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS.
It is always an option if you are stuck.  It does stretch if you need to breath in an emergency.

Quote:Taping is only partially successful as some of the time the tape becomes wet and peels loose. ARRRGGGG !

Yes it does, it is waterproof to an extent, but if you drool it does give up if it gets wet from the glue side.
Quote:Barfing into a taped Oh-jeez  shut mouth is quite an experience

I would immagine it is, I am sitting here thinking about that.   Fizzy pop and a burp!   Crazy Shock Laugh-a-lot

Quote:I hope the time is coming there will be a face scan and printed mask solution

Now that would be something, though I can see problems with making the seals fit.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply and prior post.

My mouth breathing starts off fine but, I believe, changes as the pressure rises.

Perhaps your suggested technique will help - so I will try; however, I think the problem occurs "over time".
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.