Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does your brain learn not to mouth breathe?
RE: Does your brain learn not to mouth breathe?
Thanks for that explanation pholynyk.

On my PR Apap, I can see the current day plus the 7 and 30day averages.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am was a major mouth breather.  I originally used a FFM.  Years later I "discovered" (you know how it is when you don't know where to go for help) the nasal mask I switched.  Go figure, mouth breathing became a problem, a major problem.  Once I discovered I had a problem, and that took a long, long time, I tried a chinstrap.  For me that did not work, ever, no matter how tight I made it.  I could always very easily open my mouth.  Then I tried what I later found out was an extremely controversial method of control, lip taping.  
I used taping religiously for a while.  After a month or so I 'forgot' to apply the tape.  My best guess is that my body adapted to breathing without an open mouth.  I occasionally had to use tape again briefly, but now I'm just using a P10 pillow mask.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
According to the manual the reported leak rate is for the 95 percentile. You could turn off the smart start for a night to check your leak rate.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 01:18 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Working up from the bottom of the sleep report, we see Central AI, Total AI, AHI, Leak, Pressure, and Used Hrs. I set the Period to 1 Day, so that I always see last night's sleep. Obstructive AI is Total AI minus Central AI, and hypopneas is AHI minus Total AI. I'm not sure if the pressure is 90% or 95%, and I think the Leak rate is 70 percentile, not 90 or 95.

I hope this helps.

Oh, okay, I see how I could make that more precise. Just change 1 month to 1 day. That would be very helpful. However, I don't think I can do that because I'm in the compliance period. Presumably, both the DME and the sleep doc are checking up on me wirelessly. After 30 days I should have racked up my compliance obligation and can do whatever I want with settings.

Oooh....brainwave...I could TEMPORARILY make the switch to 1 day. (This is sorta like being a toddler and jumping out of the cot and jumping back in again when you hear parents coming......  Dielaughing). And the A10A stores all the data, so I can switch right back and not lose anything? Genius...
Post Reply Post Reply
"You could turn off the smart start for a night to check your leak rate." Yup, or you could always use the button to shut it off.

I like the SmartStart a lot, the delayed stop, not so much - because it does mess up the SleepyHead leak chart.
Post Reply Post Reply
The data duration can be changed at will so yes set it to one day for your use it does not affect the data the DME get. Also it will not affect your compliance no need to switch it back unless you want to see a different time range
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 01:39 PM)bonjour Wrote: I am was a major mouth breather.  I originally used a FFM.  Years later I "discovered" (you know how it is when you don't know where to go for help) the nasal mask I switched.  Go figure, mouth breathing became a problem, a major problem.  Once I discovered I had a problem, and that took a long, long time, I tried a chinstrap.  For me that did not work, ever, no matter how tight I made it.  I could always very easily open my mouth.  Then I tried what I later found out was an extremely controversial method of control, lip taping.  
I used taping religiously for a while.  After a month or so I 'forgot' to apply the tape.  My best guess is that my body adapted to breathing without an open mouth.  I occasionally had to use tape again briefly, but now I'm just using a P10 pillow mask.

Fred

That's exactly what I was wondering, especially with the tape scenario. I didn't used to mouth-breathe. I'm thinking my brain could be persuaded to only breathe through my nose again. The tape seems like the best method to "trick" the brain into re-adapting.

I'm almost afraid that if I get an FFM, I'll be laying in concrete what for me might be a bad habit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 03:00 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: The data duration can be changed at will so yes set it to one day for your use it does not affect the data the DME get. Also it will not affect your compliance no need to switch it back unless you want to see a different time range

Wahoo! After looking at the options, I see I can change the time span at will, independent of any parameters that may have been set by the DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now, I've gone exploring in my A10A 4Her user panel and come up with the following numbers that covered 24 hours (12noon-12noon) including last night. This was a 25 minute nap and the night. No reading while masked.

7.7 hours
Pressure 12.4
Leak 41L
AHI 11.4
Total AI 10.6
Central AI 6.2

These are pretty much the same numbers as my month-to-date averages.
I'm not concerned about mask leaks....while in service, they would be minimal as of the last few days.

I'm getting all kinds of bad sleep symptoms, like choking. Several times I've woken up thinking a train is going by (I live near the tracks) only to figure out the noise might be coming from me, sometimes a mouth cyclone.

My original diagnosis was 18 AHI; I can't imagine that was a realistic number, judging from the figures on my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your using EPR you could try reducing it to get rid of some of your Clear Airway events.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 0 41 4 hours ago
Last Post: alwaystired17
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 176 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.