Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does your brain learn not to mouth breathe?
RE: Does your brain learn not to mouth breathe?
I would qualify WW's statement to say that reducing EPR (if you are using it) might reduce your CA level, and it should reduce you Obstructive Apneas, as well.

The reasons for this it that Central (or Clear Airway) Apneas seem to be be worse with greater variations in air pressure, and the obstructives are reduced with a greater base pressure. The greater the EPR, the more variation, and the lower the base (or exhalation) pressure,

In a nutshell... there's more... but enough for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your DME most likely is only looking at compliance data - meaning time used. I doubt they are looking at anything else. They have tons of patients to track. Unless you are a squeaky wheel, they'll just glance at hours, note it, and move to the next patient. Perhaps they notice the changes if the software they use flags it. But I doubt they really care. They want their money.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 06:33 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I would qualify WW's statement to say that reducing EPR (if you are using it) might reduce your CA level, and it should reduce you Obstructive Apneas, as well.

The reasons for this it that Central (or Clear Airway) Apneas seem to be be worse with greater variations in air pressure, and the obstructives are reduced with a greater base pressure. The greater the EPR, the more variation, and the lower the base (or exhalation) pressure,

In a nutshell... there's more... but enough for now.

On the EPR—that's "Pressure Relief" correct?—I can only have it off or on. It's set to ON. You're suggesting I should set it to OFF?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 06:40 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Your DME most likely is only looking at compliance data - meaning time used. I doubt they are looking at anything else. They have tons of patients to track. Unless you are a squeaky wheel, they'll just glance at hours, note it, and move to the next patient. Perhaps they notice the changes if the software they use flags it. But I doubt they really care. They want their money.

I am a squeaky wheel insofar as I caught them selling me a used machine. But they're probably also lazy and would prefer to get rid of me by not paying a whole lot of attention.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes EPR is pressure relief. You'll have to change the settings from the clinic's menu or you can just shut it off. It depends how much you want to change it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 07:12 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Yes EPR is pressure relief. You'll have to change the settings from the clinic's menu or you can just shut it off. It depends how much you want to change it.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 05:13 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: My original diagnosis was 18 AHI; I can't imagine that was a realistic number, judging from the figures on my machine.

Why's that? Why do you think that your high leak rate can be ignored? If you don't get your leaks under control nothing else matters, and none of the other numbers mean anything.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 08:26 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 05:13 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: My original diagnosis was 18 AHI; I can't imagine that was a realistic number, judging from the figures on my machine.

Why's that? Why do you think that your high leak rate can be ignored? If you don't get your leaks under control nothing else matters, and none of the other numbers mean anything.

I guess I didn't make myself understood. I'm not at all ignoring the leak numbers. In fact, I'm working my butt off! This is my priority right now, almost ahead of anything else. I'm particularly concerned about non-mask leaks, since I generally know how to correct mask leaks.

Mouth leakage is a major work in progress.

I don't really have a clue yet how leakage numbers relate to AHI numbers, except logically if there's leaking, there's gotta be "events", since during leak-times I'm not getting robust treatment.

My diagnosis AHI number has always seemed unrealistically low. There was some discussion about whether the in-house sleep study had been invalidated because I had to sleep on two different beds in two different rooms. I got hooked up twice. Not a split study. I qualified for a do-over, but since I made the cut for treatment, it seemed kinda pointless.

I hope that's clearer now.
Post Reply Post Reply
HalfAsleep,

I would like to share some of my experiences.

I found out early on that I needed a chinstrap to control mouth breathing, even with a FFM. Adding a chinstrap got my leaks below large leak levels but not as low as I thought they should be for my treatment to be fully effective. I was still having a lot of mouth leaks.

Another member posted about using a lady's stretchy  headband over their lips to control lip leaks. I bought  a package of the head bands that are 2.5 inches wide and found that by wearing them over my lips with the headband positioned around the back of my neck under my ears, under the chinstrap, they significantly reduced my mouth leaks. I had to use a different one each night because I had to apply lanolin to my lips before putting the headband on due to irritation. After using the headband/ chinstrap combo a few months I learned how to control mouth leaks without the headbands. I still have to use the chinstrap, however.

I also started using a soft cervical collar to control clusters off OA events I was having. I'm an active sleeper and move around a lot. The collar eliminated the positional events entirely. I found it also had a positive effect on my leaks, when worn in conjunction with a chinstrap. The collar does nothing for overall max leak rates, but it lowers the 95% rates significantly. 

Hang in there. Your perseverance will pay off.

Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 05:37 AM)pupcamper Wrote: HalfAsleep,

I would like to share some of my experiences.

I found out early on that I needed a chinstrap to control mouth breathing, even with a FFM. Adding a chinstrap got my leaks below large leak levels but not as low as I thought they should be for my treatment to be fully effective. I was still having a lot of mouth leaks.

Another member posted about using a lady's stretchy  headband over their lips to control lip leaks. I bought  a package of the head bands that are 2.5 inches wide and found that by wearing them over my lips with the headband positioned around the back of my neck under my ears, under the chinstrap, they significantly reduced my mouth leaks. I had to use a different one each night because I had to apply lanolin to my lips before putting the headband on due to irritation. After using the headband/ chinstrap combo a few months I learned how to control mouth leaks without the headbands. I still have to use the chinstrap, however.

I also started using a soft cervical collar to control clusters off OA events I was having. I'm an active sleeper and move around a lot. The collar eliminated the positional events entirely. I found it also had a positive effect on my leaks, when worn in conjunction with a chinstrap. The collar does nothing for overall max leak rates, but it lowers the 95% rates significantly. 

Hang in there. Your perseverance will pay off.

Mitch

Thanks so much, pupcamper, for your encouragement.

Whadda ya know, I got the cervical collar to work perfectly last night. My jaws were practcally glued in place this morning. After I thought of the collar as nudging the jaw hinge so it wouldn’t open rather than a shelf to rest my chin on, I was able to find a good working position.

I used a different bed pillow to lie on and I slept flatter. Buuuttttt, two steps forward, one step back, my mask leaked like a water main....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 0 37 3 hours ago
Last Post: alwaystired17
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 176 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.