Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does your utility provide assistance in electricity rates for using XPAP?
RE: Does your utility provide assistance in electricity rates for using XPAP?
That is a pretty good deal. I would estimate a CPAP consumes about 16.8 KWhr per month. 70 watts x 8 hours x 30 days / 1000 to get KW. At 10 cents a KWhr that is $1.60 of energy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will need to enquire over here again, there was only one provider here allowed this and they would also supply a generator if the power went out.
However, when we moved into this house we were stuck with the provider the builder had appointed for two years (they turned out to be a nightmare, couldn't even get the meters right or the name right.  Six years down the line they finally got everything right.)  So now I can change, but the suplier that gives a discount is now the most expensive supplier!  Sods law is it?
We do not get a lot of power outages here, but a generator might be useful if there was.  However, I am not going to pay more for power than I have to. Thinking-about
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
S2S

Who gives discounts here?
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
EDF, though it is a while since I checked with them, but they were a bit more expensive anyway at the time I last checked.
If you enquire I think you will find that others will give a small discount for people with a medical condition that requires power through the night and will also give you priority for reconnection or supply a generator if they can't reconnect you.
It keep changing, so ask them all the question, it might just surprise you.  However, promises is one thing, but doing it is another.

Email the lot for their best deal..

Ourpower if you are a tenant supplies cheaper power, however, there are draw backs if you get cut off at the weekend, there is no emergency service at the moment, though we have raised the matter with them and they hope to have something in place shortly.  Heard this before mind you.
Ourpower only does smart meters so if you change to them it will be a smart meter and direct debit (this is coming for all anyway) the only thing that puts me off Ourpower is the lack of an emergency service at the moment.

Most of them have a deal for medical users, it is just getting the right person on the phone.
It appears they do not let this be known among their own staff.  Wonder why?  He says sarcastically!   Rolleyes
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks S2S.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2018, 11:01 PM)Ron AKA Wrote: That is a pretty good deal. I would estimate a CPAP consumes about 16.8 KWhr per month. 70 watts x 8 hours x 30 days / 1000 to get KW. At 10 cents a KWhr that is $1.60 of energy.

I think you're on the right track, but I think those estimates are overstated.  Where does the 70 watt rating come from?  Closer to 2.5-3.0 KWH per month* (plus probably twice that delivery charge), for me, with heated humidification at "2", actually measured in real use.  My power costs me about 2 cents per KWH thanks to power deregulation and competitive electricity rules.  So my use would cost 27 cents.  

I don't think a close read of the rules would apply to CPAP if they are as previously put forth in this thread.

But hey, if they'll give it .... 

OMMOHY

*.996 A avg current draw x 12 V x 8 hours/night * 30 nights = 2,868 WH ~ 2.9 KWH
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Instead of an expensive generator, I bought a 12 volt battery and an inverter that increases the voltage to 120 volts.
I charge it several times a year.  It is a heavy to bring in from the garage, but it does the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,169 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 333 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Picked up ResMed 10 today, concerned about ability to reset flow rates NewlyDiagnosed 10 253 04-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 543 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 310 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Interpreting OSCAR data - any assistance would be incredibly appreciated :) SleepyVoyager 20 1,004 02-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 304 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.