Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dogs and anpea
Dogs and anpea
Does dogs have sleep apnea?

Yes, it does. For example, mosquito breeds, such as the English Bulldog, have sleep-disordered breathing that is very similar to human obstructive sleep apnea. In dogs with sleep-disordered breathing during sleep, the upper airways become blocked and breathing slows or even stops for a moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dogs and anpea
Some do have Apnea I'm sure. My dog snores quite well.

Here a bulldog with his mask.

Maybe a PAP manufacturer creates the BarkMed PAP line.

[Image: akZqf6a.jpeg]

ResMed for one, thinks this a real issue.

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea...eep-apnea/

My dog snores: Does he have sleep apnea?
Sleep issues CPAP therapy
+ 2

Can pets have obstructive sleep apnea? And if so, can CPAP help treat their symptoms? The answers are yes … and possibly.

As with humans, little Fido’s sleep apnea would most likely develop over time, either on its own or as result of another medical issue or prescription drug he’s taking.1 You’ll probably notice the snoring first, but also note if he’s gasping or choking while asleep, or more tired or irritable than normal during the day.2 Sleep apnea is also more deadly for animals in the short term; while it is known to raise the risk of secondary-cause death in humans over time, “there have been several episodes of sudden death in young dogs and cats while sleeping, which are similar to sudden infant death syndrome in humans.”1

Sleep apnea in dogs
Your four-legged friends may be at greater risk for sleep apnea if they have allergies, obesity (e.g. English bulldogs) or short noses that can making breathing difficult (e.g. Boston terriers, mastiffs, rottweilers).2 Dogs experience apneas the same way we do: They temporarily stop breathing, causing their bodies to jolt them awake to take a breath. And as with humans, this constant nighttime arousal results in sleep deprivation and all its short- and long-term health risks.

Veterinarians will often suggest a diet for overweight dogs, prescription drugs or possibly surgery if their obstructions are caused by malformed nostrils or airways.3 CPAP is not a treatment option for canines right meow, but that could someday change thanks to studies like the one in 2011 – on cats.

Sleep apnea in cats
Cats can also have OSA, particularly overweight and obese cats, and Persians due to their shortened muzzles and the breathing problems that can result from them.4 As always, Shadow’s snore will be the most noticeable sign that something may be wrong. If so, the most common treatment is surgery if the vet thinks it’s necessary. However in 2011, researchers successfully treated cats with OSA by using CPAP. Their study is self-described as “the first report of CPAP being used as an effective treatment for OSA in an animal.”5

What if my pet sleeps poorly?
Will this CPAP study lead to more research into animal OSA and whether CPAP can effectively treat it? Time will tell. But we do know that animals can have sleep apnea – and other sleep disorders like narcolepsy, insomnia and periodic limb movement disorder3 4 – and that it has an equally harmful effect on their sleep. That’s why you should call Oreo’s vet if you think she may have sleep apnea – or any problems sleeping.

This blog post contains general information about medical conditions and potential treatments. It is not medical advice. If you have any medical questions, please consult your doctor.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our two year English Staffy snores, stops breathing, and wakes up choking at times.. she definitely has sleep apnoea. 

It does cause me a fair bit of concern at times.  Sad
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
If I'm not mistaken some of the earliest clinical work was done (in Australia by Resmed folks) on dogs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like Nature intended some of us to have sleep apnea.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big dogs and CPAP DWaldman 10 3,464 10-25-2015, 02:47 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Tennis Balls and Dogs PaulaO2 11 4,437 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.