Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

RE: Domestic Water Heater Question
Well-done

You should size it for the total GPM / temp rise it would be called to produce if all fixtures were in use. Is that overkill? maybe and as you said it may never happen but it *could* happen. They'll be that time you need more hot water with no way to get it. If cost is an issue, demand heater, gas line upgrade (which you may have to do figuring both systems running at the same time) it might be worth it to just stick with a tank system. You could use a timer to keep it off at night. I have a timer on mine but previous home owner removed the pins. I'm sure I could order them since the timer is a common intermatic but just haven't gotten one of these yet:

[Image: tuit.jpg]

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
02-22-2016 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

One little glitch that can and often does happen with demand water heaters is what they call a 'cold water sandwich'. That's when you have previously used hot water and then quit for a while and then returned for some more. The water will run hot for a while from residual in the pipes and then go cold until the heater kicks on then go hot again. The combustion air fan is required to run a certain number of seconds to clear the chamber of any possible gas fumes prior to energizing the ignition and then the gas valve, hence the delay of hot water delivery.

Dude
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 11:00 PM by surferdude2.)
02-22-2016 10:54 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(02-22-2016 10:22 PM)AlanE Wrote:  You should size it for the total GPM / temp rise it would be called to produce if all fixtures were in use. Is that overkill? maybe and as you said it may never happen but it *could* happen.

Right. I'm thinking that if that turns out to be the case, I'll add a third tankless unit, as I can easily split the kitchen from the bathroom. I could even add a fourth for the laundry room, but I think THAT would be overkill. Wink

The water coming in to the house is not very cold as I live in a very moderate climate. In the summer time it's possible to grab a quick shower and never turn on the hot water, as it gets heated just running through the pipes in the attic. But that is a really quick shower for a very over-heated person who's been outside sweating. The last thing you want in that situation is a hot shower.

Quote:If cost is an issue, demand heater, gas line upgrade (which you may have to do figuring both systems running at the same time) it might be worth it to just stick with a tank system.

That's what I said 8 years ago when I replaced the last tank. Hopefully the gas line is adequate. It's a 1" line coming into the house, but then quickly reduces to 3/4" at the first branch. The heaters I'm installing have 1/2" inlets. I'll run a 3/4" inch line to the next one, just in case I ever have to upgrade to a larger heater.

Quote:You could use a timer to keep it off at night. I have a timer on mine but previous home owner removed the pins. I'm sure I could order them since the timer is a common intermatic but just haven't gotten one of these yet:

I do have a timer and it's set to come on only at times when we're home. I had to install a relay because once the pump got a few years old it started burning out the digital timers I was using. It has an on-board analog timer but it can't be programmed differently for different days.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-24-2016 09:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

4? Tim would be proud.

[Image: toolman.jpg]

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
02-25-2016 10:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Handy tip for distilled water bottles Maggie 1 94 Yesterday 04:25 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear