Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Don't panick over leakage
Sad 
Don't panick over leakage
Started CPAP May 2018.  Went thru a period of trying different configurations,  ie:  Nose Pillows, Large silicone full face, Medium silicone and F20 foam.  They all leaked - and still do.  I also quit taking the SD card out of my Resmed, firing up a computer and viewing my nightly progress.  I only use Resmed's My Air to check how I'm doing.  My leakage seems to start after 5 hours of use - usually while sleeping on my side.  Anyway to shorten this story:  When I check MyAir I'm getting a score of 100% - even when I'm thinking I have a big leak.  I know SleepyHead gives more info but all I want is to know if CPAP is effective.  The moral:  Don't sweat a little leak
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Don't panick over leakage
What do your leak-rate numbers look like? The rule of thumb, I think, is that anything under 24 liters per minute is OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2019, 11:28 AM)tlippy Wrote: .. The moral:  Don't sweat a little leak

Good advice, as well as philosophy, which I adopted very shortly after learning of SleepyHead and beginning to take occasional note of its findings a year ago.

MyAir gives me a rough 'n ready appraisal each morning of whether-or-not I managed to eke out a decent amount of sleep and tells me whether the machine controlled my apnea/hypopneas well enough to keep my AHI under 5.  They're always under 1.2, so far, with an average running near 0.5. 

I know I leak...it's obvious once or twice a night when I feel I should turn over and partially awaken; maybe because of the leaking in the first place.  When I cross-reference my week with SleepyHead, I find there's simply nothing remarkable.  Carry on.....
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2019, 11:48 AM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: What do your leak-rate numbers look like?  The rule of thumb, I think, is that anything under 24 liters per minute is OK.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I see that myAir doesn't report liters/minute. (The machine itself does.) I guess that's considered too advanced. :consternation:
Post Reply Post Reply
Click on the arrow to the right of "20/20"; it shows a bar chart of actual readings as reported by the Resmed. Then 'hover' your mouse over any bar & the actual reading in liters per min will pop up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, that's good, thanks. I apologize to the poor Resmed programmers for misjudging them. (As if they cared.)

Anyroad, I agree that leaks are often not worth being concerned about. There's a limit, of course. Or as the saying goes, you have to draw the line somewhere. I do tend to pay attention to the previous night's AHI number first, and then, during the day, to whether I feel tired. If AHI=low and tired=no, then everything's fine, pretty much.

(Correction: It'd be the product manager, not the programmers. Fortunately, I haven't had anything to do with that corporate nonsense in a long time, so I tend to forget. Blissfully.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2019, 11:28 AM)tlippy Wrote: Started CPAP May 2018.  Went thru a period of trying different configurations,  ie:  Nose Pillows, Large silicone full face, Medium silicone and F20 foam.  They all leaked - and still do.  I also quit taking the SD card out of my Resmed, firing up a computer and viewing my nightly progress.  I only use Resmed's My Air to check how I'm doing.  My leakage seems to start after 5 hours of use - usually while sleeping on my side.  Anyway to shorten this story:  When I check MyAir I'm getting a score of 100% - even when I'm thinking I have a big leak.  I know SleepyHead gives more info but all I want is to know if CPAP is effective.  The moral:  Don't sweat a little leak
Sleep-well

Unfortunately it doesn't apply to me. Any little leaks can cause me to have major obstructions. I have "mild" apnea, AHI 7 when tested. But any leaks I get can cause runs of 20-45 second obstructions all in a row, all within a few minutes time. Same thing if I don't wear a cervical collar. What happens is that these run of obstructions caused me to go into AFIB in 2017. I was in AFIB for 9 hours in the hospital  and I don't want that to happen again.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 104 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 258 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Why do I need to get my flow limitation and leakage down? Kathy14225 12 1,428 09-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask 'Pulsing/Jumping' - Plus leakage issues Jake B 4 3,202 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: HULK
  Resmed Airfit F30 Mask Leakage jerrydaw 28 7,565 09-20-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: car54
  N30i leakage alvaro212 11 1,845 07-23-2023, 04:22 AM
Last Post: BAZZA
Question [Diagnosis] Central Apnea associated with mask leakage? wdfarmer 9 1,943 07-14-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Cam12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.