Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Down to waking up only once during the night.
Down to waking up only once during the night.
I've just started trying to use my BiPAP machine again because I've been waking up multiple times during the night. 
And probably every other night, sometimes consecutive nights in a row, I wake up with the adrenaline rush. 
Well, now that I've been using the machine therapy again I am noticing that I have not waked several times during the night. And I have not awakened with an adrenalin rush the times I have awakened.
I would really like to know if there's something in the data that can reveal why I am waking each morning between the hours of 4 and 6 in the AM.
Just every day, I will wake up and I don't have a clue why. Well, this last day, I do remember hearing a leak from my mask. And the graph also shows that a leak was occurring during that time. I'm pretty sure I woulda woke up nonetheless. 

If someone notices something that could explain it. Or maybe point out that I am waking far more often, just not becoming aware of it.
The thing that is so odd. The last time I used the BiPAP machine, my numbers averaged around a range within ~2.3 to ~3.9. That was after having a UPP and Sinuplasty done, whereas before the UPP and Sinuplasty my numbers averaged within a range of ~4.5 to ~8.

The numbers now are so low I am finding them hard to believe. 0.0 to 0.26

I'll gladly answer any questions. I am sure I haven't provided nearly enough information but I will gladly try.

1st Day
1st Half of Graph Data
Zoomed in somewhat
Maximum Zoom
2nd Half of Graph Data
Remaining tables of graph data

2nd Day
1st Half
Zoomed in
Max Zoom
2nd Half
Rest of tables

3rd Day
1st Half
zoomed in
max zoom
2nd half
rest of table data

4th Day
1st half
zoomed in
max zoom
2nd half
rest of tables

I put them in as links cause there's a lot of images and i think it's easier to view them in separate tabs of the browser. But if needed I will gladly submit them otherwise.

Edit: I am going to try a nasal pillow mask tonight. This reminded me that I used to have issues with the Mirage FX and leaks before.
I'll post back tomorrow with that data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Down to waking up only once during the night.
Your therapy looks excellent, and you seem to be benefiting from using it. I notice a fairly high constant leak rate that looks like a system leak, rather than a mask leak.  Double check the Outlet Adapter Seal, and be sure the spring retainer in the humidity chamber is fully engaged in the slot and the seal is in good condition. Also check the humidifier chamber is fully engaged and the lid seal in good condition.

I think you will like the nasal pillows mask.  Other than potential system leak I just don't see anything I would change in your settings.

[Image: d2qVGGigRGOYpXIG.medium][Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fd3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfro...f=1&nofb=1]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for showing me how to check that. Looks good there.

I noticed something though when I decided to do a mask seal check to see if I noticed any leaks after checking the seals.
When I run mask leak test, it just blows air and doesn't react to my breathing. Is it supposed to behave like that? I haven't tried the mask seal test in a long time. But I don't remember it behaving like that, especially since it's really annoying.

But what this did make me realize is that, that's what I felt like I experienced this morning. That the mask seal test, just air in one direction was what woke me up this morning.

Is my unit failing?
Post Reply Post Reply
When running mask check, the only leak should be from the mask exhaust vent, and that can be about 30 L/min. Mask pressure should build and be mostly quiet. I only briefly used a nasal mask and moved to pillows many years ago, but I never have the sensation that my machine blows air and does not react to my breathing. Your Oscar data shows a normal respiration flow and mask pressure with what appears to be normal exhale and inhale pressure. I'm not used to seeing a baseline leak rate of 12 or so L/min. I use the same machine, and I have occasional leaks, but my baseline is zero. I don't know what the problem is, but it certainly doesn't appear normal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahhh, that's interesting about yours being zero.
I will hopefully learn more after switching to the pillow tonight.
I have a feeling something's going to turn up.

Thanks for the feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed out the Mirage FX nasal mask and went to a Resmed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow.
I also lowered the pressure some to see if the leak level would lower.
Well, it was a dismal first part of the night. I ended up waking after an hour and finding that the mask was leaking and even after restarting it, it just did not feel good.
I tried to sleep without a mask and woke up with an adrenaline rush. Didn't get much rest so I decided to try another mask and just stay in bed today.
I went to a Respironics Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillows mask.
I had the most pleasurable experience with that mask in comparison to the previous two I just tried this week.
It appears the baseline for leaks actually hits zero. 
I do see some events but I'm guessing it's likely due to the drop in pressure of which tonight, I will restore it to it's previous level.

Hopefully tonight, I'll have the leak and comfort level dialed in.

The whole night at a glance:
[Image: Day%204_1.png]

A look at the first part of the night struggling with the AirFit P10:
[Image: Day%204_1-Resmed%20AirFit%20P10%20-%20Na...illows.png]

Things getting better with the Nuance Pro:
[Image: Day%204_1-Respironics%20Nuance%20Pro%20-...illows.png]

Zoomed in on the latter part of the morning with the Nuance Pro:
[Image: Day%204_2%20-%20Zoomed%20in%20on%20Nuance%20Pro.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
using the p10 for the last 4 years my baseline leaks are typically around 14 which I attribute to lip leaks, and which would be much higher without a soft cervical collar. lately my leaks have mostly been much lower. I'd like to think I'm finally getting the hang of proper tongue positioning but that may be wishful thinking. capping max pressure and minimizing pressure swings are the more probable reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2021, 03:17 PM)sheepless Wrote: using the p10 for the last 4 years my baseline leaks are typically around 14 which I attribute to lip leaks, and which would be much higher without a soft cervical collar.  lately my leaks have mostly been much lower. I'd like to think I'm finally getting the hang of proper tongue positioning but that may be wishful thinking. capping max pressure and minimizing pressure swings are the more probable reasons.

Sleeprider suggested the N30 strap for the P10 mask. Something I am going to try with that mask myself. 
Just gotta figure out a way to stop the nuance pro from moving during the night thus allowing a loose fit by morning and leaks.

Although these results from last night are really good. 

Post Reply Post Reply
That's excellent! Hope you feel as good as that looks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Down to waking up only once during the night? 

That would indeed, be a great blessing for me.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 116 10 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 262 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 309 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.