Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Downloaded data question
RE: Downloaded data question
Sorry for coming late to this thread. I did a search for Seth's machine: it's an S7, not S9, so the menu is quite different and there are no icons. More important, Resmed describe this machine as a ventilator and not as a PAP machine. It looks like it's meant for patients with breathing disorders rather than sleep apnea. Looking at the specification sheet, it doesn't actually mention AHI as one of its parameters. So I suspect the reason it's showing an AHI of 0.0 is that the device doesn't actually measure apnea events.

Seth, can you recall why this particular machine was originally specified? Did you have a high percentage of central apneas, or some other particular breathing issue?

Details here:
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/vpap_i...i-sta.html
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
The VPAP III ST-A system is intended to provide non-invasive ventilation for adult
patients (>66 lb) and pediatric patients aged 7 years or older (>40 lbs) with
respiratory insufficiency or obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). The device is intended
for use in the hospital or home.

Thanks DeepBreathing. This was one I couldn't figure out but I guess I didn't think that the machine didn't record that data. I should have realized when he said 5 years ago that it was an older machine. Duh
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 06:38 PM)me50 Wrote: The VPAP III ST-A system is intended to provide non-invasive ventilation for adult
respiratory insufficiency or obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). The device is intended

Hi Me50 - can you give me a link to that description? I was searching for a statement of the machine's use for apnea but couldn't find one. I wish ResMed would sort out their website. there's all sorts of stuff on there but nothing is dated and it's hard to know exactly what you're looking at sometimes.

For Seth - given the age and non-data capability of your machine, you might want to consider updating it to an S9 if that's a possibility for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 07:20 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 06:38 PM)me50 Wrote: The VPAP III ST-A system is intended to provide non-invasive ventilation for adult

Hi Me50 - can you give me a link to that description? I was searching for a statement of the machine's use for apnea but couldn't find one. I wish ResMed would sort out their website. there's all sorts of stuff on there but nothing is dated and it's hard to know exactly what you're looking at sometimes.

For Seth - given the age and non-data capability of your machine, you might want to consider updating it to an S9 if that's a possibility for you.

I will pm the link to you
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for the info folks. I believe there was a high level of central apneas revealed during my sleep study. I was told that my diagnosis was both OSA and Central Apnea. In fact there were so many central apnea events that my pO2 level was down to 65%. I wish I could get the VPAP S9 ST-A but due to my insurance coverage, a bit prohibitive right now. I'm going to start searching for a "gently used" one.

I found a VPAP III ST-A "Quick Setup Guide for Clinicians". According to the page for Clinical Results Menu under Efficacy Data, the machine doesn't report AHI or AI. . So when I go for my follow-up visit to my sleep center I'm going to ask them whether or not AHI/AI can be interpreted/determined from the data that is registered by the machine.
Well. I guess the no AHI/AI data mystery is solved. Thanks again for all your insight
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually after 5 years, your insurance will get you a newer more updated machine. I see where you said " my insurance coverage, a bit prohibitive right now" and I am sure you know best whether your insurance will get you an updated machine or not. If you have even a small chance, I would go for it. If they pay some, that is better than you paying 100% and you would get a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read my coverage again yesterday. Max. limit is 750.00 for durable medical equipment. I believe a VPAP S9 ST-A is priced in the neighborhood of 6K-7K hence my comment about acquisition being a bit prohibited.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seth, why do you need the ST-A? From Resmed's site:

"This NIV ventilator helps treat non-dependent patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome (OHS), Neuromuscular Disease (NMD), and other conditions. iVAPS technology makes the VPAP ST-A suitable for hypercapnic patients with changing respiratory needs."

Is this you? If you only have apnea with a high percentage of centrals, then the VPAP Adapt is more likely the machine you need, for a much lower price than the ST-A. The equivalent Philips machine might be a bit cheaper and there are other brands on the market which might address your needs. Still a huge gap between the retail and what your insurance will cover, though.

I just noticed Supplier No 10 has a refurbished S8 VPAP Adapt SV for $699. Needs a prescription, but it might be worth checking out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance has a contracted agreement with DME's so the retail price doesn't come into play. If your insurance will pay $750 toward a new machine that would keep your out of pocket expenses down (say if you only have to pay 20%) and then you can purchase your supplies from one of the suppliers on the list here and still come out ahead of the game. Just something to think about. I would also call your insurance company and ask them. Maybe they will classify your machine as medically necessary equipment, which it is, and call your supplies DME. You never know unless you ask.

I haven't seen where insurance companies have a deductible for DME and usually it is unlimited. Not sure how private insurance works but I thought that insurance companies usually follow medicare guidelines. YMMV

sorry that your coverage isn't better than that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Group. I'm back. Finally had my follow-up visit to sleep dr. after 5 1/2 years of being on my machine. The last time I spoke to you the mystery of no AHI results showing up on the downloaded data in ResScan was due to the fact that my VPAP III ST-A doesn't report AHI (apparently AHI's weren't the gold standard for therapeutic results at the time the machine first came out. Anyway, I was hoping the PA at the sleep dr. (never saw thr dr.) would be able to tell me if there was any data from my machine that would tell me if the therapy was working. Subjectively, I feel great and all of my PVC symptoms have disappeared.

This follow-up visit was a waste of time except I did get a script for a Respironics ASV machine. I'm not running out to get it until my company starts asking for proof of compliance and the data output from my machine is not acceptable to Dept. of Transportation. They haven't in 5 1/2 years. I'm not sure if the data will be acceptable since newer parameters have apparently evolved. More to follow.

Regards,
Seth
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 651 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Question on data interpretation/meaning - flow rate dstone5 2 496 02-08-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: dstone5
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,632 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Just downloaded OSCAR, feel tired, does anything stand out? coleperkins12 4 627 11-20-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 884 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 796 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  OSCAR SD data question MagnoliaSolana 3 695 11-13-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.