Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help for EricWood992
Help for EricWood992
FROM ERICWOOD992

I am posting this for him as he had trouble posting it.

My Sleep Clinic has me on a trial at the moment though, using the Resmed S9 Autoset in an attempt to establish whether I actually HAVE sleep apnea. My sleep test, some five years ago or so, resulted in a mild apnea diagnosis and I was given the S9 Escape model, which I have been using on and off since. The main trouble is that I can't stop the leaking of the mask, a Respironics Comfort Gel Full Face, and feel little difference using the cpap or not using it. I keep telling my Sleep Clinic that I don't think it is apnea, and that I believe the problem to be my jaw position during sleep (As my experiment with the Snoreeze device indicated, see below!). They have very little to say about this, and keep pressuring me to persevere with Cpap.

My results so far with the S9 Autoset (after 10 nights) are that my average AHI is between 3.2 and 7.2, Pressure 11.8, Leak 42liters/min.
My best result so far in my own trials was my first use of a Snoreeze mouthpiece (NO CPAP), when for a week or so my mouth remained closed. I really felt spectacularly better during the day that week than I have felt for at least 25 years! My head was clear as a bell, I was getting up three hours earlier every morning and not feeling sleepy at all. It even affected my legs when walking; it felt like walking on air!!

Unfortunately, this didn't last long and then my jaw began to drop as I was breathing though my mouth, and I was back again to nearly square one. I treated myself for some seasonal nasal congestion and there was some improvement, but this is where I started trying different chin straps, two Respironics and one from Amazon UK which was hopeless.

This is my aim - to get to feel good every day consistently.
My next step is to log my O2 levels (my oximeter has just been delivered.......)
When my Cpap trial is over, I will go back to Snoreeze and chin strap tests, unless by some miracle I get a better suggestion from my Sleep Clinic.....

Apologies for the lengthy post, but I am now quite desperate to find a solution to this constantly feeling tired, dizzy and heavy headed every day. I am nearly 80 years old and trying to enjoy my well earned retirement.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help for EricWood992
It is the sleep clinic or the doctor who is resistant to your success with this oral device? If it's the clinic, ask that the message be passed on to the doctor. If it's the doctor, leave a message and ask him what the specific goal is, especially after the oximeter shows you data for a couple of nights.

Be aware that dental devices can cause TMJ issues. So long as you brush your teeth though, it shouldn't increase dental problems. I wonder how well that thing would work for dentures? My mom would probably try that.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.