Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr Barry Krakow's theory of apnea vs hypopnea vs flow limitation?
Dr Barry Krakow's theory of apnea vs hypopnea vs flow limitation?
What do you think of Dr Barry Krakow's theory of apnea vs hypopnea vs flow limitation?

From 29:00 to 29:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syv7YcHbTCI&t=29m0s

Essentially, he says that obstructive sleep apnea goes in a spectrum from completely blocked airway (OA), to hypopnea, to FL, to open airway (breathing without FL).
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dr Barry Krakow's theory of apnea vs hypopnea vs flow limitation?
It's all in the spectrum of obstruction and restricted breathing flow rate. Dr Krakow is pretty much inline with my thinking on the matter. I have spoken many times of a crimped or closed airway being analogous to a crimped hose. What he is saying here is that CPAP is still a traumatic therapy compared to bilevel therapy. It is the reason Resmed CPAP succeeds with 3-cm of pressure support and the Vauto is even better. So few doctors are even aware of flow limitation and the comfort issues of PAP therapy, and Krakow nails it. The issues he goes on to discuss are worth listening to as well. This is a very progressive doctor that does not "bean count" the AHI but looks at therapy as a healing mechanism and is not tied to the insurance "cost minimization" protocol.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO this topic/thread belongs in the main forum as it applies to everybody. 

Think about it.  It is perfectly logical.  The most illogical portion of the argument is that there could be a complete blockage in the first place, a total blockage, an obstructive apnea.  We know that is real, almost all of us here experience it or experienced it in the past.   

What is the normal state?  Normal is what we all strive for, a completely open, non-obstructed airway.  
What's next?  Something, fatty tissue, muscular tissue, Muscles relaxing, drugs causing muscles to relax, inflammation and swelling in the upper airway, nasal congestion.  These occur at a range of 'effectiveness' in constricting of the airway from effectively nothing to total blockage.

That is total common sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
As per bonjour's recommendation, this thread is now in the Main Forum.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's the way I have been intuitively thinking about it.

A spectrum of obstructive phenomena

I would add in an additional classification which is RERA sans-arousal.  I've been calling this RERA-like or Flow-Limited or pseudo-RERA

Then I would also add in a "Duration" attribute.  I have been calling breath cessation of <10 seconds a pseudo-apnea

Also I think of a pseudo-hypopnea which does not quite meet the 10 second or 50% threshold

It's all a continuous spectrum in my head
Post Reply Post Reply
RERAs have been proven to be harmful in studies but as mentioned in my other thread, they're not even required to be marked in sleep studies.

There haven't been many studies on flow limitation without arousal apart from Dr Barry Krakow's, which have shown positive effects of treating it. I don't see why there would be any harm in removing all or the vast majority of flow limitation, which makes the only barrier the cost of BiLevel (if EPR isn't enough) and knowledge/time/etc optimizing settings.

Some people seem to do fine with some degree of flow limitation, while others don't. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but with the same mask, same humidifier settings and everything... once I switched to BiLevel from CPAP and treated my FL, I stopped taking off the mask during the night almost completely  Dont-know
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
somehow did a double post. ignore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I agree. I have precisely those suspicions too (as you know from comments on my thread).
Specifically this post: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid324887

I'm working on the same hypothesis/assumption that removal of limitations (without an explicit arousal or recovery) may have significant benefits for me.
I see two drawbacks to the current ways of scoring sleep in studies. I summarize them succinctly as..

1) We can't manage things that we don't measure
2) We ONLY manage things that we DO measure.

I think we are on the same page here and that's why you started your other thread about the implications of having optional scoring.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-OPTIONAL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,600 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.