Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr Mark Hyman Claims
RE: Dr Mark Hyman Claims
(07-13-2012, 06:33 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I have had doctors tell me vitamins are not necessary if I eat a balanced diet. Supplements not necessary? I do not agree.

A simple blood test will tell you whether or not you are deficient in vitamins B12 or D. We do hear more and more about vitamin D deficiencies leading to depression. That camp also recommends 3 grams (yes, that's 3000 mg) of fish oil per day. Keeping it in the freezer can reduce or eliminate those nasty fish oil burps.

Be aware that vitamins and supplements are not necessarily the magic cure for these ailments for every individual.

You have to keep an open mind when it comes to your own health. It's all too easy to convince ourselves that ingredient x is having effect y.

Try to keep it real.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer to get my vitamin supplements from fresh food
Fresh food is best and no pill popping for me just the occasional glass of wine (Australian of course) and as the good book say:
Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepts thy works.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2012, 08:50 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-13-2012, 06:33 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I have had doctors tell me vitamins are not necessary if I eat a balanced diet. Supplements not necessary? I do not agree.

A simple blood test will tell you whether or not you are deficient in vitamins B12 or D. We do hear more and more about vitamin D deficiencies leading to depression. That camp also recommends 3 grams (yes, that's 3000 mg) of fish oil per day. Keeping it in the freezer can reduce or eliminate those nasty fish oil burps.

Be aware that vitamins and supplements are not necessarily the magic cure for these ailments for every individual.

You have to keep an open mind when it comes to your own health. It's all too easy to convince ourselves that ingredient x is have effect y.

Try to keep it real.

I try to get vitamins from fresh foods but I still ended up Vit D deficient though I was taking 3,000 Iu at the time of test. I think I don't absorb nutrients well. I began pro biotics and digestive enzymes to help. I see doc Mon and will get more blood tests then.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2012, 11:45 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I try to get vitamins from fresh foods but I still ended up Vit D deficient though I was taking 3,000 Iu at the time of test. I think I don't absorb nutrients well. I began pro biotics and digestive enzymes to help. I see doc Mon and will get more blood tests then.

If you need supplemental D, get the D3 and take it in the morning for best absorption and bioavailability.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do and will have a blood rest this week to see how it is going after a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2012, 11:45 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote:
(07-13-2012, 08:50 PM)Sleepster Wrote: [quote='Sleeping Beauty Turquoise' pid='14529' dateline='1342222387']
I have had doctors tell me vitamins are not necessary if I eat a balanced diet. Supplements not necessary? I do not agree.
Quote:A simple blood test will tell you whether or not you are deficient in vitamins B12 or D. We do hear more and more about vitamin D deficiencies leading to depression.

I try to get vitamins from fresh foods but I still ended up Vit D deficient though I was taking 3,000 Iu at the time of test. I think I don't absorb nutrients well.
I know I don't absorb vit D so I have to supplement mine...Altho I normally take the 50K (and yes, that is 50,000) IU at a time, with a double dose of 100K about 3 times a week to get mine up to high normal.

Quote:states after weight loss some no longer had sleep apnea

That didn't say he stated they were cured...

Altho you did state in the first post:
Quote:In his book he writes about cases that were cured of Diabetes

Altho many who have lost weight via weight loss surgery SAY they are cured...most endos will tell them they are in remission. But then again, we say people are in remission from cancer for a certain number of years (depending on the type) and then after that point, say they are cured of cancer.
Quote:With any form of cancer, the patient is not considered cured until there is no sign of cancer on blood tests and imaging studies for five years from the date of the original diagnosis. When the blood tests and imaging studies show no evidence of cancer for five years after the cancer diagnosis, only then is the patient considered "cured".

Okay, so if we apply the same criteria to diabetes...that after 5 years of NO more treatment but still having an a1c under 5.9 and having a fasting blood glucose of under 99 on any test for 5 years...they could be considered cured.

Would the same apply to sleep apnea? If someone tests off the cpap due to weight loss and stayed off for 5 years and passes all the subsequent sleep studies, are they considered cured?

I do know MANY people who have had weight loss surgery that have retired all medications for diabetes and retired their cpap machine due to not needing it and stayed that way for 5-15 years after. By the definition of cured (see the cancer one I quoted) then yes, they are cured.

Liz
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had NO sign of Breast Cancer for 11 years and five months. Am I cured? I hope so. I'd love to say that about pre-Diabetes and sleep apnea too.

Main thing I wanted to say is that you don't have to accept a diagnosis and in some cases with diet you can reverse the diagnosis or control it. I can lower my cholesterol significantly in 21 days. Get a good lipid panel result.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone who recommends weight loss for treatment of sleep apnea should be horsewhipped and have their medical license suspended.

If you have apnea, get on CPAP,

END OF STORY

Trying weight loss instead of CPAP will kill 10 times as many people as it saves because most people WON'T lose the weight and will suffer the effects of apnea while they're trying. Even if they DO lose the weight, they'll be at risk from their untreated apnea while they're losing the weight.

After starting CPAP, if your weight is unhealthy, lose the weight. Weight loss has many benefits.

Some people DO lose their apnea with weight loss, but there are lots of skinny apneacs. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones and will be able to quit CPAP. It's like finding an unused scratchoff lottery ticket lying in the street. Pick it up and scratch it off, but don't quit your job before you check it out.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Waking up at 1 hour mark Brucpap 3 631 04-09-2023, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Brucpap
  Texas Mark (Therapy Thread) Texas Mark 16 1,137 06-25-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Texas Mark
  How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? plakky 7 1,070 05-10-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Long CA, low SpO2 - but machine didn't mark it as a CA MyronH 0 889 11-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: MyronH
  Mark's excellent adventure with a sleep doc or how I am going to kill myself ... Mark Douglas 17 4,029 10-18-2017, 07:34 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Almost at my 1 year mark - Centrals Question MeDee 3 1,500 01-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Nasal Pillows leak - any way to mark the mask/headgear? Evpraxia 7 3,348 10-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Evpraxia

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.