Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr. Visit tomorrow for followup to sleep study
Dr. Visit tomorrow for followup to sleep study
Tomorrow I have my followup to my sleep study. The sleep tech that did the study spoke to me and code language and I expect to have a rec of CPAP treatment.

I have questions about the prescription the Dr will write. I will be buying the equipment online, out of pocket. Some of the online sites have typical prescriptions or recommended verbage from the Dr. If it goes as I expect, is it appropriate to ask him to write a generic script for an APAP machine and masks of my choice? Or, do they typically specific all the exact equipment?

Also, can you expect the prescription be good forever? I saw some of the online guys say, "just send us your prescription once and we keep it on file forever for any future needs". Because we are traveling, mostly out of the country most of the time, it would be a lot easier for me for him to be as broad as possible.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dr. Visit tomorrow for followup to sleep study
From what I have seen, with 3 CPAP/APAPs under my hubby's and my belt, the Dr's prescription is usually very generic. Usually states something like "a CPAP with setting range from 7 to 14" or something similar. The Dr usually leaves the brand of XPAP up to the DME, and maybe the patient.

Your experience may vary; but this is what I have experience myself, and heard on this board.

In my opinion - can't hurt to ask the Doc to be as generic as possible.

Also, don't forget about the power needed for the APAP! I can tell you the PR System One (what my hubby has) is much cheaper as far as a 12 volt adapter goes, about $30-40 USD Vs The ResMed S9 APAP (which I have) which cost me about $85 USD for the adapter.

Fair winds!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 08:41 PM)SailingAway Wrote: Tomorrow I have my followup to my sleep study. The sleep tech that did the study spoke to me and code language and I expect to have a rec of CPAP treatment.

I have questions about the prescription the Dr will write. I will be buying the equipment online, out of pocket. Some of the online sites have typical prescriptions or recommended verbage from the Dr. If it goes as I expect, is it appropriate to ask him to write a generic script for an APAP machine and masks of my choice? Or, do they typically specific all the exact equipment?

Also, can you expect the prescription be good forever? I saw some of the online guys say, "just send us your prescription once and we keep it on file forever for any future needs". Because we are traveling, mostly out of the country most of the time, it would be a lot easier for me for him to be as broad as possible.

I was diagnosed with severe OSA in 2008 following ENT exam and sleep study. Because I was not tolerant of the sleep lab, was never titrated. As a result I got a simple handwritten prescription at the time for auto-titrating CPAP and supplies. A photocopy of that prescription is still on file with Supplier 1 and I can get anything I need. My prescription was originally filled with an APAP and mask from Apria, but I really don't need or want the support services and costs of a RT. I purchased very low-hour used machines off Craigslist.

The prescription may be good for life, but if you pursue insurance coverage, they may require a new prescription or review of your apnea. The best advise is keep a copy of your study and prescription, and be aware trying to get coverage can be more expensive than just using online DME providers.

With today's high deductibles and copays, the markups of full-service DMEs and getting additional sleep studies merely to satisfy an insurer of need, gets expensive quickly. I am under the impression that this is intentional, and insurance is simply not going to cover sleep apnea except at very high cost by requiring sleep studies, new prescriptions and high-cost DMEs. YMMV. For me, it's just easier to buy this stuff as needed and move on.

Try to get a generally open prescription for Auto CPAP, assuming you don't need bilevel treatment, and if you have insurance, ask for a list of in-network providers, and a procedure for out of network reimbursement.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, get a copy of your study. A copy of the prescription. Make a copy of everything, both digital and print. Keep one copy with you and another in a safe place where someone can send it to you if you lose the one you have (both digital and print). Don't let them tell you that you wouldn't understand the data in the study. Tell them that's fine, you'll manage. You want the study and/or summary.

Since you are doing it out of pocket, the one prescription will cover everything. They usually are just fine with scanned copies.

You'll need a script for the machine and another for the mask. The one for the machine may likely include one for the mask, though. Which is fine. Let the scripts be as generic as possible. Such as "autopap with pressure range of ...." and "mask of patient's choice".
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Ok, thanks for the advice. I thought that would be the best way to go based on what I saw at some of the supplier's webpages. Since, out of pocket for me, can't imagine he would care either way. No compliance or regular DME to worry about so it shouldn't matter.

The only things needing a prescription are the mask and machine correct? For other supplies or changing hoses, adding a humidifier, etc., no prescription needed??

Because I'm on a very tight time frame to get this all done before leaving, I want to make sure I have all the questions and expected results prepared for tomorrow. No, ok well think about it and come back a week later. I should have a couple weeks to try it, tweak it before we leave the country again.

Because of our lifestyle and travel, we ALWAYS get written copies of EVERYTHING and digital if possible. We never know who we may be showing it to next.

Thanks to all who commented, couldn't have done it so expeditiously without you.

Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
A humidifier and a heated hose need a prescription. Other supplies including non-heated hoses and mask parts do not need one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also keep a copy of the CPAP prescription in my travel bag incase someone from TSA/Customs asks about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Money 
Well, just returned from the Dr. visit. During the diagnostic portion of the study, I was experiencing 32.4 RDI or about 30 events/hr. During the titration portion of the study they started me at 4 and ended at 10cm/H20 at which the RDI was 3.5 for about the last 2 hours. Also, finally entered REM for 30 minutes then. Only other time was 11.5 mins at 6 and 6.5 min at 7cm/H20. The apneas and hypopneas dropped way down at the end when running at 10 cm/H20.

The doc said that put me right on the border between moderate to severe apnea.

He wrote the script as requested, AutoPAP 6-14cm/H2O with Heated Humidifier with mask of patients choice. There doesn't appear to be an expiration date it anywhere and nothing is marked on refills.

Seems like this should do the trick.

Thanks to everyone for your help, and I guess it's time for me to go spend some $$$$

Post Reply Post Reply
You're good to go. Please stop by sometimes and tell us how it's going. We can help you optimize settings, and you can make us feel bad we're not where you are. Pictures of exotic ports of call will be required.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I'll be around. May be a little hectic for a bit, but I want to get the software up and running once I've figured out how to put it together and make it work. One thing we learned, years ago, is that we have to tend to our health. Many times the language is a problem. Many times the local way of doing things is foreign to us. There is always a learning curve. We travel with full health records, X-rays, everything that we have had done along the way and historically.

In fact, although they gave me a printout, (5 pages) that is supposed to be my study. It looked real impressive on the big color monitor at the office, but the printout in black and white is so crowded with parts obviously cut off. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask if they can email me the color graphics I saw in the office.

I'll also do what I can to help on the board and will even post some photos, if I can figure out how.

Thanks a bunch to all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 231 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.