Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sticking tongue out
Sticking tongue out
Since my apnea is caused by my tongue (says ENT), I was wondering about (during times when machine might not be available, especially naps) sticking my tongue out. I remember reading awhile ago that someone on this Forum said they were successful in doing this for the whole night. (Or they assumed they were successful, because their tongue was still out when they woke in the morning.)

Do you think that you could assume that sticking the tongue out would eliminate the cause of the apnea (if it is the tongue)? Or do you think only a sleep test would tell the tale.

Any thoughts about me giving this a try or does it sound silly? My doctor says I must always use my machine, so just trying to cover my bases if I find myself tired away from home. (It happens, especially if I am a passenger in a car.)

Thanks, sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sticking tongue out
I don't want my tongue sticking out because I don't want to be licking my nasal pillows hose all night. Try the tongue suck method. Close mouth, push tip of tongue to teeth and slightly suck a little to create a vacuum. This has really helped me. Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
Most people find that they have a lot less events if they are sitting up, so you may be OK sleeping in the car. I also nod off if I am am a passenger and I don't recall ever snoring or waking up choking like I did when laying in bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do a search on tongue retaining mouthpieces. There are a lot of them out there sold for snoring and apnea. Find one that is affordable and see if it helps. I have no experience with these, but different strokes and all that. Let us know how it works out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 651 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 309 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  [Treatment] Friedman Tongue Position Cantbreath95 2 1,245 12-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.