Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr. Wants To Do A 24-Hour Test
Dr. Wants To Do A 24-Hour Test
Been using cpap for almost 3 months. Excellent numbers all around. AHI between 0 and 1 practically every night, yet virtually no improvement in my daytime fatigue.
Sleep doc scheduled me for a "24-hour test" where I come in 7pm and stay til 7pm next night. Says prob may be "narcolepsy".
I asked him if the overnight would show a new AHI. He said they will use the machine the whole time, so it will show only numbers while being treated. Not sure why.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dr. Wants To Do A 24-Hour Test
You should be able to ask the purpose of the test. One possibility is the multiple sleep latency test:

Multiple Sleep Latency Test, MSLT – A study performed during the day after a full diagnostic NPSG, this study is used to objectively determine a patient’s level of sleepiness after a night’s sleep. The MSLT is a series of five timed test, two hours apart, during which we look to see whether a patient falls asleep, how quickly, and to what stage of sleep the patient reaches. The MSLT is most commonly used to diagnose narcolepsy or some degree of excessive daytime sleepiness.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2016, 10:10 PM)harmon k Wrote: Been using cpap for almost 3 months. Excellent numbers all around. AHI between 0 and 1 practically every night, yet virtually no improvement in my daytime fatigue.
Sleep doc scheduled me for a "24-hour test" where I come in 7pm and stay til 7pm next night. Says prob may be "narcolepsy".
I asked him if the overnight would show a new AHI. He said they will use the machine the whole time, so it will show only numbers while being treated. Not sure why.
The test for narcolepsy is called an MSLT and it must be done after a night in the lab demonstrates that there are no obvious night time problems that explain your daytime symptoms: If any night time problems are found, the MSLT is typically canceled, and the night time problems then must be treated and brought under control before another MSLT might be scheduled.

So that's why the lab will have you use the machine the whole night: In order for an MSLT test on a person with OSA to be considered valid, the OSA must be under control the night before the MSLT part of the test is done. Hence the lab needs to be able to demonstrate that your current settings do control your apnea.

It is also possible that the night time part of your test may show a new night time problem that was masked by the untreated OSA on your previous test. On another board there is a poster with severe PLMD that did not show up until after her OSA was well controlled by CPAP: As long as her OSA was triggering arousals, she was not asleep long enough for the periodic limb movements to start. She only started feeling better (in terms of daytime symptoms) after both the OSA and the PLMD were under control. So the lab also needs to rule out things like that for the MSLT test for narcolepsy to be valid.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much, Sleeprider and Robysue. You guys are so informative and helpful! God bless
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, when my doc took my card and downloaded it, does that show him basically everything (all the info) he needs to see to tailor my treatment?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go to the link at the top of the forum, you can request the same software your doc uses to review your ResMed data (ResScan 537). It shows both summary and detail data for your sessions - much more than the online tool MyAir does.
The graphs and values will be very similar to what SleepyHead displays.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2016, 10:59 AM)harmon k Wrote: BTW, when my doc took my card and downloaded it, does that show him basically everything (all the info) he needs to see to tailor my treatment?
If the doctor's office downloads the detailed data, he can see everything he needs to see to tailor your treatment.

But some doctor's offices only download the summary data or the compliance data.

Ask the doc if he downloaded the detailed data.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 115 52 minutes ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 133 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 869 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 355 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  First Sleep Test OwenTrantor 56 3,996 02-19-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.