Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr says I have to have new sleep study to change titration
Dr says I have to have new sleep study to change titration
This is horse pucky. I had an overnight pulse ox with my cpap and I had 10 events where my oxygen dropped 3% or more. and I was dropping to 79%. Spent 33% of the night below 90% oxygen.

The doctors office says in order to change the pressures I have to have another titration study done in the lab. I know I can change the pressures myself and in fact had jumped it one prior to the overnight pulse ox.

Oh-jeez

I am not sure how to proceed.
Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dr says I have to have new sleep study to change titration
(03-09-2015, 01:14 PM)clrapstad Wrote: This is horse pucky. I had an overnight pulse ox with my cpap and I had 10 events where my oxygen dropped 3% or more. and I was dropping to 79%. Spent 33% of the night below 90% oxygen.

The doctors office says in order to change the pressures I have to have another titration study done in the lab. I know I can change the pressures myself and in fact had jumped it one prior to the overnight pulse ox.

Oh-jeez

According to your profile you are running a auto machine, why not set the max pressure up and let it find you. Your setting is 6 - 8 cm why not set it at 6 - 10 and check your numbers with sleepy head in a week and go from there.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sort of defeats the purpose of having an Auto machine to need a sleep study to change pressure range.
My opinion is that some docs are just doing CYA when they say that.
OTOH -- the doc may be considering adding supplemental O2 tot he CPAP flow.
When was you last study? recent?

6-8 is not a wide range, nor very high pressure.

For me -- I would find another, more enlightened, doctor.
You have to make a decision you are comfortable with.
You are your best advocate for your healthcare.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 01:14 PM)clrapstad Wrote: This is horse pucky. I had an overnight pulse ox with my cpap and I had 10 events where my oxygen dropped 3% or more. and I was dropping to 79%. Spent 33% of the night below 90% oxygen.

Oh-jeez

Why don't you post your sleepyhead chart from this night. This may provide some clues on what should be the next step. Since you have a pulse ox, you can titrate your pressure at home and evaluate the result on pulse ox. You can also integrate the pulse ox reading in your sleepyhead charts and watch both cpap and pulse ox data concurrently.

This will also help to answer if you do need an in-lab titrations (to evaluate if you need supplemental o2 or BiPap).

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can present some Sleepyhead graphs to your doctor showing how a new pressure level improves things he might be more supportive. Perhaps the principal to apply here is that it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
It would be nice to see your actual results. But with such a tight range I'm not sure they would be all that meaningful. If it was my cute little body I would set the range to 6 min, 12 max and see what happens. Download/install the Sleepyhead software so you can check the results after you make the changes. It does sound like your doc is one click above the docs that prescribe an Auto machine, then insist on dummy'ing it down to a regular cpap without any particular consideration as to how well that might work for the patient.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 01:42 PM)AshSF Wrote:

Oh-jeez

Why don't you post your sleepyhead chart from this night. This may provide some clues on what should be the next step. Since you have a pulse ox, you can titrate your pressure at home and evaluate the result on pulse ox. You can also integrate the pulse ox reading in your sleepyhead charts and watch both cpap and pulse ox data concurrently.

This will also help to answer if you do need an in-lab titrations (to evaluate if you need supplemental o2 or BiPap).

The pulse ox meter was the clinics. I think I am going to purchase one. Anyone have one that works with their Resmed Air Sense 10 for her machine to sync results?
Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 01:27 PM)JWR Wrote: According to your profile you are running a auto machine, why not set the max pressure up and let it find you. Your setting is 6 - 8 cm why not set it at 6 - 10 and check your numbers with sleepy head in a week and go from there.

Heck, set it at 6-20 and let it do its thang!

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
Wasn't brave enough to open is all the way up but I bumped it to 6-12 and found it was wanting to run at 12. My AHI were higher than the night before but I tend to ping all over the place anyway.
Didn't have time to look at the data in sleepyhead and am still figuring that all out.
I am really thinking with my funky asthma issues I should have it opened up more so it can respond if it needs to.
I wonder if it is picking up my asthma breaths as snores as my husband says he doesn't hear me snoring and the machine is picking up I am.

My lung function while awake is not the best so laying down is making it worse.

Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
What you did sounds good. It may even be wanting to run higher than 12! Leave it alone for a week and see if you can spot a trend developing. That is to say, see if it points you to a higher pressure or lower one. If no trend, give it another week. Eventually you will clearly see what the pressure needs to be by how the machine is responding to breathing limitations. Then you can accurately adjust for effect. Any sudden increase in pressure can take time to be tolerated. This process may take you several weeks. Jumping from a max of 8 cm to 12 cm in itself can cause temporary sleep disturbance so you may need to back off and come up more gradually.

FYI, I have the Contec pulse oximeter model CMS 50D+ and it works well with the Sleepyhead software.

After doing all that, if you still have issues, then it's time to go back to the doctor armed with the data you have accumulated by your efforts and let him prescribe a course of action.

Best regards, Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 40 9 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,448 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.