Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr. switched from variable to one pressure
Dr. switched from variable to one pressure
Hello, I recently was provided with a variable machine to test, set to between 8-18.  I found it pretty easy to get used to (with full face mask) and was starting to feel better.  The Dr. observed the data and determined 9 was the average and had them lock it in at that.  Now I wake up panicked that i can't breathe and pull the mask off.  Dr. is impossible to get to and company providing the machine says just use it and if you have to take it off take it off.  I guess my question is, if the machine is variable why would one lock it down to one pressure?  How does it make sense to make the machine less usable?  Any insight anyone can offer would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dr. switched from variable to one pressure
If you know the name of the machine you are using, order the Clinicians Manual.  Link at top of page.  This will show you how to change the pressure back to Auto Mode with a variable range.

The doctor may have set it to a straight pressure if you were experiencing Clear Airway events as a higher pressure could aggravate that.  Other than that, I don't know why doctors set machines to straight cpap pressure other than they don't like auto mode.  

You should be able to use what you are comfortable with.  Talk to your doctor and get more information as to why, and ask what the breakdown of your AHI is.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After you get the manual download sleepyhead. I'm guessing you have a machine that works with sleepyhead. It's a lot easier to work with than ResScan. Also you can post a chart from sleepyhead here for input on your settings.

Check the links below and it will guide you through download and posting.   

Welcome
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello fellow Canuck. There may or may not be a good reason why your doctor switched you to a set pressure. As mentioned above, if you post your data, once you get a few more posts under your belt or you can just put a space in the link temporarily until you do and then we can give you a better opinion. Seeing the data is super important to be able to give you some good recommendations.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2017, 11:04 AM)Rustychester Wrote: I guess my question is, if the machine is variable why would one lock it down to one pressure?  How does it make sense to make the machine less usable?  Any insight anyone can offer would be appreciated.

He or she is using the old-fashioned model that existed before we had machines that could auto-adjust the pressure. In that model the patient goes into a lab, the lab determines the ideal pressure, and the patient is given a machine set to that pressure. Your doctor is replacing the lab with the auto-adjusting machine!

That model has a lot of shortcomings. No need to go into them here.

Show us your data. Use SleepyHead to do that. Figure out which machine you have. Get the manual here. Doctors don't often do a good job of advising patients, so you have to take charge of your own health. I know that's hard to believe, but when it comes to CPAP therapy doctors and equipment providers cannot be trusted to do the right things.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I figured out is a Dreamstation pro.  I have to dig into it tonight to see what data there is.  It is a loaner model so I don't know if I will be locked out of the software or not.  Funny thing is, I can order the same model online for about $700 (exclusive of the govenment coverage) while the approved medical supplier wants $1300 - $1400 (with mask and some accessories that can still be had cheaper) on top of the money covered by the government.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2017, 02:48 PM)Rustychester Wrote: Funny thing is, I can order the same model online for about $700 (exclusive of the govenment coverage) while the approved medical supplier wants $1300 - $1400 (with mask and some accessories that can still be had cheaper) on top of the money covered by the government.

A ridiculous state of affairs that drives the cost of medical care. The same thing happens when the doctor bills the insurance company $1300 for a service, and the insurance company "allows" only $700. Why do the insurance companies get to set the rates for services and equipment when they are neither the providers nor the recipients?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. The Dreamstation Pro has a feature that allows for auto-CPAP titration for up to 30 days called Auto IQ. It then shuts off and automatically selects the optimum CPAP fixed pressure, usually at your 90th percentile pressure (not your average). You can still control your machine, and the features are described fully in the clinical manual that you can get from the forum. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Your machine is a fixed pressure CPAP, but you have doing the Auto Trial mode. It can be reactivated, but it does time-out. If you download and install #Sleepyhead, you can see the results of your Auto Trial, and compare that to current CPAP therapy. If you post that information, we will be glad to help you optimize results with the machine you have.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
My case seems the same than Rustychester. Could I post my sleepyhead reports here or open a new thread ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2017, 08:55 AM)Julien Wrote: My case seems  the same than Rustychester. Could I post my sleepyhead reports here or open a new thread ?

G'day Julien.

It's probably best to start your own thread. That way your ongoing apnea experience, together with any advice offered is all in one place for you to follow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switched from APAP to BiLevel/TriLevel WOW Stubert 2 682 02-15-2024, 06:21 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] Switched to FFM, need help on settings Strange54 1 220 02-06-2024, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  For those that have switched from PAP to Bi-level... CPAPnerd 7 432 01-23-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Apria switched CPAP Elton525 10 528 01-22-2024, 02:32 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need advice: switched from P10 mask to P30i rebean 3 492 12-30-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 934 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.