Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr wants another study
RE: Dr wants another study
(07-26-2019, 02:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I’m on my phone but want to discuss the inconsistent nature of your CA events and the difficulty getting a representative sleep test.  As you can see, on any particular night you might have very few events, or many. It is the nature of central Apnea to be consistently inconsistent.  The success of a test is not solely dependent on the right pressures or technology, but also whether you are having events or not. It is very unpredictable.

Are you saying that a new study is a crap shoot in my case? or that I may not actually have central sleep apnea? I am kind of afraid I will have a decent night and confuse things further. Don't know what to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply. The 'road to ASV' 1-2-3-4 makes a bit more sense. My Dr said this morning that my insurance would likely kickback ASV before ST was tested.  My next study is scheduled to start with ST and switch to ASV if ST fails to sort out the Centrals.  I hope there is a definitive result. I am afraid if I have a 'better' night, the test won't be accurate  because my Central's fluctuate so much from day to day. How can they be sure they are getting it right?
Post Reply Post Reply
That is the Game we must play with insurance.  

Quote:My Dr said this morning that my insurance would likely kickback ASV before ST was tested.
  This says your doctor knows how to play the game, that he knows that you need an ASV.

Your role is now to help your doctor get there.  And we are here to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2019, 03:33 PM)ShariMarie Wrote: I am kind of afraid I will have a decent night and confuse things further. Don't know what to do.

Do the sleep study. If you have a good night and they prescribe a ST machine, then when you take it home and it doesn't work for you, you can show the data to your doctor and that will get you the ASV.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2019, 06:56 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 03:33 PM)ShariMarie Wrote: I am kind of afraid I will have a decent night and confuse things further. Don't know what to do.

Do the sleep study. If you have a good night and they prescribe a ST machine, then when you take it home and it doesn't work for you, you can show the data to your doctor and that will get you the ASV.

This is probably true however I have to pay a non refundable down payment everytime I change machines then rent for a number of months. I have paid over $250 so far and now ill have to start all over. This is all quite frustrating but I guess I have no choice. Do the insurance companies just think we will give up and scrap the whole idea? ugggh Its not like these are so fun to wear at night.  Lol
Post Reply Post Reply
So many people have done just this("give up and scrap the whole idea"). The insurance companies have shelled out millions for patients who do not comply with therapy. Sadly, we all suffer from the noncompliant ones. How? When you go to get a machine at a DME, you get processed like the 50% of people who crap out on therapy, and that process includes the respiratory therapist just getting you in and out, without care, because they figure that you aren't going to use the machine anyway. Doctors are in a similar situation at diagnosis and writing orders. I'm sure there are other reasons for the process deficiencies, but, the fact remains the same. Many people get a good and proper diagnosis and they just quit. Look at the many machines that are available for sale on Craigslist. Letgo, OfferUp,... Etc. Nearly all of these machines didn't come from estates.

You are having to go through the ASV process, partly, because of this.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2019, 07:57 PM)ShariMarie Wrote: This is probably true however I have to pay a non refundable down payment everytime I change machines then rent for a number of months. I have paid over $250 so far and now ill have to start all over.

Call some other DME's to see if you can get a better deal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One warning.  If you progress to ASV, for some people, it is a cast iron sun on the beach getting used to it.  After a period of hell fighting the machine, your brain gives up fighting it and you are in heaven.   For others, it's good from the first use.

Good luck with your treatment.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dr wants another study UPDATE
OK, 
I had my latest sleep study last night with the ST machine. Horrible experience. I felt like my inhales were cut short by the machine and collapsing the mask, I struggled for over two hours to get to sleep. Once I got to sleep, (I did dream a little so I did actually sleep some to my surprise) I would wake up with my cheeks puffing out like a puffer fish. My mouth was SO dry. Just a Horrible,  horrible night. We changed masks mid way but no improvement. On a good note, the tech did say she got enough data for the doc. I was told if we did ASV, it would be done on a second night and that ST had to be done a full night prior to a night with ASV. If ASV is anything like this ST experience, I may throw in the towel. Very discouraged. Below I posted my chart from the night before last. CA's pretty high. This makes me nervous for my surgery on Thursday. It's a 2.5-3 hr surgery and I have never had surgery since I paralyzed my vocal cord. I have an implant so I can talk and not choke. My airway is smaller now so all of this combined has me a tiny bit anxious about anesthesia.

[attachment=13962]
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2019, 02:00 AM)archangle Wrote: One warning.  If you progress to ASV, for some people, it is a cast iron sun on the beach getting used to it.  After a period of hell fighting the machine, your brain gives up fighting it and you are in heaven.   For others, it's good from the first use.

Good luck with your treatment.

Thank you. When you say fighting the machine, it reminds me of my night last night on ST for the first time. Not fun. can you describe what you mean when you say fighting the machine? I felt like I could not breathe in as long as I felt was natural, like the machine was cutting me off before I finished taking in my breath. Is this what ASV is like as well??
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 89 1,558 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 261 04-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 197 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 401 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 250 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,321 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 403 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.