Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr wants another study
RE: Dr wants another study
Congratulations on an outstanding result, and great advice there from Idlewire. Having had such a good result, why would you change it? If this can be maintained then your prayers are answered. Unfortunately the problem with central apnea is that it's very difficult to maintain consistent results except with an ASV.

You're having surgery tomorrow and will have a fairly high drug burden for a while afterwards. Painkillers (especially opioids) are known to cause / increase central apnea so you will likely see an uptick. However I think you need to do what you have to do to get through surgery and recovery then revisit your apnea situation when you're more settled afterwards. Good luck for the surgery, I hope all goes well for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2019, 07:29 AM)ShariMarie Wrote: I admit I felt a bit air deprived at first. What would I change to give me a little more air at first.

You wouldn't change settings based on something that happens just one night. That feeling could be just your body adjusting to the new circumstances. I know that things like that that bother me when I first make changes to the machine settings go away on their own. For me I figure it's just part of the adaptation process. Plus, when it happens it makes me anxious, and the anxiety amplifies it in my mind, making it seem larger than it really is.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shari, Good luck with surgery!

Last year I had total hip replacement surgery, told all of the Dr's, Anesthesiologist, Nurses, Respiratory  Thech's and anyone who would listen that I have mixed apnea with centrals a big portion untreated. The hospital i had surgery done at would not let me bring my machine in but when I got to my room after the surgery one was waiting beside my bed, I did bring my own mask as I am much more comfortable with it then the ones they use at the hospital.

I needed seven sleep studies in four months to get to my ASV. They needed so many partly because I either did not sleep, or on one study managed 19 minutes, never reaching REM sleep in any study. For me it was clear to my Doc that I needed to use an ASV, just needed to jump through hoops to make it happen.  When I finally received my machine it took little time to adjust to it because it seemed to work with me better then any other machine i used, The biggest problem I had in the beginning was I could not get more then 4 hours of sleep, I would wake up feeling great, much better then i could remember ever feeling after a nights sleep. I now sleep at least 7 hours a night, sometimes even getting 8!

Don't give up because of a few bad nights or bumps along the way, I did that many times and as a result I have suffered many health issues, even many bouts with AFIB, that is when I got serious in getting help, from my Dr's and this forum. My health and life in general have improved greatly because of my use of the proper PAP machine.
"Right wrongs nobody" 
Mountain Charlie McKiernan 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ShariMarie,

Hope all turns out well post surgery and hope you get on a ResMed ASV soon. I represent a patient that forced a skip over of the ST. I knew ST would be wrong partly because of my central event numbers. For me getting used to the ASV was easier than BPAP. Note ST is probably where I might be as I’ve got COPD, but I wasn’t willing to put up with a difficult machine. No offense intended to those on ST, but I strongly believed it would not be good for me.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.