Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr wants me to do another Sleep test
RE: Dr wants me to do another Sleep test
*wave* Hi. Fellow severe CSA person here. Also waiting for my doctor to get me onto ASV and having a bunch of events.

Your first overall chart looks a LOT like mine - not so many central events in the first couple of hours, but AFTER that, it just blows up. I have yet to figure out why. But it DOES mean that I can (often) reduce my events if I only sleep for a couple of hours or less at a time. Unfortunately, that isn't great for restful sleep either, and it's not a fix. I'd (personally) be interested to know what your initial sleep studies showed in terms of the number of CA to OA and Hypops...

You also might want to get yourself a pulse oximeter that will record your pulse and oxygen saturation overnight, just to see what's happening there. If your oxygen levels are dropping during those long streams of central events, you definitely need to push for something to be done faster. If you have a look on the wiki, there are a list of pulse oximeters that work with OSCAR at various price points.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2021, 02:25 PM)Ratchick Wrote: *wave*  Hi. Fellow severe CSA person here. Also waiting for my doctor to get me onto ASV and having a bunch of events.

Your first overall chart looks a LOT like mine - not so many central events in the first couple of hours, but AFTER that, it just blows up. I have yet to figure out why. But it DOES mean that I can (often) reduce my events if I only sleep for a couple of hours or less at a time. Unfortunately, that isn't great for restful sleep either, and it's not a fix. I'd (personally) be interested to know what your initial sleep studies showed in terms of the number of CA to OA and Hypops...

You also might want to get yourself a pulse oximeter that will record your pulse and oxygen saturation overnight, just to see what's happening there. If your oxygen levels are dropping during those long streams of central events, you definitely need to push for something to be done faster. If you have a look on the wiki, there are a list of pulse oximeters that work with OSCAR at various price points.

Thanks Ratchick I will look into getting a pulse oximeter as well.  I plan on spending the last half of the day studying up on the suggest information giving here.  I will post my 2 nights of sleep study so you can see.  I am not sure I could handle sleeping only a few hours  Unsure at a time. I am cranky enough as is  Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Your central events are lower during the home studies (but I don't know how good that particular study is about differentiating obstructive vs central apneas). That may be partially down to the treatment, or it may be just because central sleep apnea is consistently inconsistent. For example on my sleep study, my CAI was 80+/hr, and on CPAP (while I wait for ASV) my results are lower but can vary from around 15/hr to nearly 60/hr, and there's no rhyme or reason for it.

But it does, at least, show that the therapy is managing your OSA far better. Unfortunately, it can be a balancing act, as what helps with obstructive stuff can sometimes exacerbate central events, and vice versa. It may be just that you need more careful titration to balance things out, but it may be that you need to switch from APAP to something like ASV if there isn't a sweet spot that manages both sides well.

I'm definitely not the expert on these things (still a newbie myself) but you've come to the right place. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The insurance may be hesitant to pay for ASV as the required 50% of the events need to be CA. I'd keep complaining and reciting symptoms until the doc's ears bleed. You're very likely not going to be well rested without ASV.

Typical they want to see you fail CPAP, BPAP, maybe ST, then onto ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2021, 03:52 PM)Ratchick Wrote: Your central events are lower during the home studies (but I don't know how good that particular study is about differentiating obstructive vs central apneas). That may be partially down to the treatment, or it may be just because central sleep apnea is consistently inconsistent. For example on my sleep study, my CAI was 80+/hr, and on CPAP (while I wait for ASV) my results are lower but can vary from around 15/hr to nearly 60/hr, and there's no rhyme or reason for it.

But it does, at least, show that the therapy is managing your OSA far better. Unfortunately, it can be a balancing act, as what helps with obstructive stuff can sometimes exacerbate central events, and vice versa. It may be just that you need more careful titration to balance things out, but it may be that you need to switch from APAP to something like ASV if there isn't a sweet spot that manages both sides well.

I'm definitely not the expert on these things (still a newbie myself) but you've come to the right place. Smile

(05-22-2021, 05:37 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The insurance may be hesitant to pay for to the required 50% of the events need to be CA. I'd keep complaining and reciting symptoms until the doc's ears bleed. You're very likely not going to be well rested without ASV.

Typical they want to see you fail CPAP, BPAP, maybe ST, then onto ASV.

Thanks again for waking me through all the aspects.  Do you keep a separate sleep log or do you put it in the notes of OSCAR..? I guess both are pretty easy so I might just do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just put mine into OSCAR now. I was keeping it in the software for my pulse ox (which at some point I need to transfer all that data across) but I figure may as well use OSCAR now. But whatever works for you. Also, OSCAR has the Zombie setting (i.e. how good do you feel from Zombie to Awesome at the bottom of the notes page) so that's also helpful too as a general overview - but definitely keep detailed info too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Within OSCAR is fine. Then you have personal notation and the OSCAR chart to point to.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your home sleep study indicates that central apnea were present in a high enough quantity to indicate that basic PAP treatment may not be satisfactory especially with the increased quantity of central apneas that have become apparent on results so far.

The titration study your doctor wants to have done is the correct step forward. They will be able to see the large number of central apneas and try different machines/settings to figure out what works best for you. When talking to your doctor about getting this study done make sure to mention that you understand central apnea appears to be the main problem, that central apnea were also present in your home sleep study and that you believe ASV should be included in the titration study. If they balk at idea of ASV I would contemplate looking for another clinic/doctor to do study as ASV is the best treatment for central apnea like this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,521 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 146 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 247 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 217 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 155 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 279 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 249 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.