Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dr wants me to do another Sleep test
Dr wants me to do another Sleep test
I have been lurking on this thread since I did my in home sleep study 4 weeks ago.  Thank you for the helpful post.  

My dentist actually referred me to do a in-home sleep study.  After completing the study my AHI was 93.1 and oxygen had dropped as low as 70. The 2nd night was almost identical. Seeing that my AHI was so high the doctor (web doctor) told me to find a local doctor to me to help dial everything in.  While waiting for my appt I went and picked up a AirSense 10 and AirFit P10 (nasal pillow) mask. I have been using it every night for 2 weeks.  I will post a snap shot of my Oscar report below. 

I had my appointment today with the local sleep doctor. I brought in my memory card so he could read it.  He really didn't go over it with me. He just said he thinks its best for me to come in and do a in office sleep study. That I obviously have a severe apnea issue.  So I don't need a full study, but to adjust my settings correctly on the machine he would need to watch me throughout the night and make changes as I sleep to really dial it in.  He said he could do more harm than good by just guessing and putting some settings in the AirSense.

Im wondering if that sounds right or is he just trying to bill the insurance higher. I might be totally off but it just seems like he could read my results and adjust the machine.

I am to new to post images or links so I can't post my test yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dr wants me to do another Sleep test
I know my sleep doctor doesn't think much of home sleep tests. He's said as much in the past. I have no idea how much my two night, in-lab, sleep study cost. I get the impression that they are expensive though. 

I'm curious as to how others respond.............. Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
Do a few more posts so you can put up OSCAR charts, we will be able to tell whats going on and we may be able to give you an opinion.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Roger That. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I will post my last night readings below.
Post Reply Post Reply
Me says that titration is probably not necessary as we at this AB forum can help you do an ongoing titration via OSCAR for free. If you're paying some of the test out of pocket, that too may be incentive to say no thanks.

Most doctors like static pressure BTW. That way every time you need pressures changed, you call to make an appointment next month, doc looks over data maybe, random choice of a bit more this or less of that, build you for a boat payment, updates the script, sends it to DME to change settings. Probably a turn around of over a month to edit something.

OR

post OSCAR, AB forum sees it, tells you what needs changed, you do the change without script edit, done in minutes for free.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2021, 02:39 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Me says that titration is probably not necessary as we at this AB forum can help you do an ongoing titration via OSCAR for free. If you're paying some of the test out of pocket, that too may be incentive to say no thanks.

Most doctors like static pressure BTW. That way every time you need pressures changed, you call to make an appointment next month, doc looks over data maybe, random choice of a bit more this or less of that, build you for a boat payment, updates the script, sends it to DME to change settings. Probably a turn around of over a month to edit something.

OR

post OSCAR, AB forum sees it, tells you what needs changed, you do the change without script edit, done in minutes for free.

Thanks SarcasticDave that was kind of what I was thinking.  As soon as it lets me post my data I will.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the reading from last night.

Post Reply Post Reply
Likely because of the centrals. These are like treatment-emergent central apnea. If so they should go away in 2-3 months. We should be able to improve them in short order.

We only need the first chart, the one with the sidebar. We need a closer look at the central to confirm, a 10-minute view will do nicely. Just click on the cluster of central until you have about 10 minutes showing on the flow rate chart (the duration is left side just on top of the flow rate curve). Screenprint and post it.

If I'm correct decreasing EPR will help, so please set EPR = 1 (currently EPR=3)tonight and post again in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, in this case there is merit in that other sleep test if the CA are the reason. As Gideon says, reduce EPR to 1 to attempt to address CA. You may want to increase Min pressure from 5 to 6 or 7 to address Obstructive events. Last, your Ramp is too low on pressure and is too long a time. I'd limit it to 10 or 15 min at most, but I have noted on others the Ramp can affect CA also. Best case on the Ramp is to turn it off.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 101 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 133 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 868 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.