Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreaStation VS AirSense
DreaStation VS AirSense
It looks as though I will be purchasing an APAP for my wife in the next few weeks. The contenders are the DreamStation and AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her. Both appear to be similar prices and we will be getting heated humidifier and heated hose regardless of which model we order.

What are peoples opinions of these APAPs comapred to each other.

I believe both to be good machines. I think the smaller size of the AirSense will be convenient on a cluttered bedside table. Being designed for a woman also sounds like a good feature. Beyond that I haven't observed much in the way of material differences.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreaStation VS AirSense
I can't fairly compare the two machines since I have only used one. However, when seeing them side by side there is a considerable size difference as you mentioned. With the humidifier attached, the Dream machine looked to be twice the size of the ResMed machine. That alone was a deal breaker for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
robysue just posted a link to a 2015 study that, once again, shows that resmed apaps treat breathing problems faster than other machines, and thus don't leave you in apnea as long.

though I'm sure other will dispute that simplistic summary Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
All I needed to know about that study was the paragraph at the bottom of the first page that OpalRose pointed out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2016, 08:26 PM)palerider Wrote: robysue just posted a link to a 2015 study that, once again, shows that resmed apaps treat breathing problems faster than other machines, and thus don't leave you in apnea as long.

Basically, both machines wait until an obstructive apnea is completed (until, on our own, we arouse ourselves into shallower sleep and re-start breathing with gasping "recovery breaths"), but ResMed APAP machines are known to raise the pressure more rapidly when there is obstruction or signs of partial obstruction (snoring, Flow Limitation, hypopneas and apneas), perhaps largely avoiding future obstructive events. The rapid increase in pressure is a problem for a few users.

Personally, compared to 'Flex which is Philips Respironics' style of pressure reduction during exhalation, I prefer the feel of EPR, which is ResMed's style of pressure reduction during exhalation. Unlike A-Flex, ResMed EPR does not drop the pressure early, while we are still trying to finish the last little bit of our inhalation.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
MrEGuy,
I've only ever used a 60 Series Respironics APAP, which is the predecessor to the DreamStation, so unable to advise, but I believe both the DS and the ResMed are good machines.

I'm sure many others will be along that use either the DreamStation or the AirSense and will be able to give some insight.

Good luck in your decision. Wink

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2016, 08:26 PM)palerider Wrote: robysue just posted a link to a 2015 study that, once again, shows that resmed apaps treat breathing problems faster than other machines, and thus don't leave you in apnea as long.

though I'm sure other will dispute that simplistic summary Big Grin
Palerider is oversimplying the results of that study and also ignoring the fact that Resmed payed for it. Among other things, the particular bench test that Palerider talking about had the tested APAPs running in a wide open pressure range (4-20), the apnea sequence fed to the machines needed 12cm to "eliminate", and the machines were run for only 30 minutes. These conditions favor machines with aggressive responses, but they do not necessarily reflect what happens to a real patient who has the APAP range set in an appropriate fashion.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both machine's auto algorithms. Yes, the resmeds respond faster, but as a result they can over respond---i.e. they can increase the pressure so rapidly that it causes arousals or they can increase the pressure beyond what is technically needed. That also turn can cause arousals and/or aerophagia to become an issue. It's worth noting that in the bench study, "regular" mode for the A10 AutoSet increased the pressure by almost 14cm (from 4 to 17.8) in about 5 minutes; the "for her" mode of the A10 increased the pressure by almost 11.5 cm (from 4 to 15.4) in about 5 minutes. And since 12cm of pressure should have been enough to stabilize the breathing and "eliminate" the apneas, it can be argued that in both modes, the A10 over titrated the "patient" and in the regular mode, the A10 significantly over titrated the "patient". And while some people might sleep soundly through such a steep pressure increase, a lot of other people would arouse or come to full wake as a result of that kind of a pressure increase.

I personally just could NOT adapt to the S9 AutoSet that I started out with. I can't prove the problem was the way the S9 chose to aggressively respond to events, but I do believe that was at least part of the problem. But please note, that I was moved from the S9 AutoSet to a bilevel machine. At the time I had a choice of either getting an S8 VPAP Auto, getting a System One BiPAP Auto, or waiting an unspecified amount of time for the S9 VPAP Auto to be released. After much thought and research (done on the other forum), I decided to go with the System One BiPAP. It proved to be an advantage in that my stomach appreciates the System One BiPAP's ability to leave EPAP alone when the problem is flow limitations or hypopneas. The PR search algorithm does not bother my stomach the way the wild swings of pressure on the S9 AutoSet did.

In other words, it's important to keep in mind that it is necessary to be able to sleep comfortably with whatever PAP machine you are using. And if you can't sleep with the machine, it doesn't really matter how well the machine performed in an artificial bench test for two.

I'll close with this: The second bench test I posted on the other thread was not funded by any manufacturer and involved a somewhat more realistic "test" of the machines. The PR System One slightly outperformed the Resmed S9 in terms of reducing the both the overall AHI and the obstructive part of the AHI, although the difference was probably not statistically significant. And neither of these machines managed to reduce the AHI to below 5. But the authors do point out that these machines have their strengths and that if they had been tested with an appropriate min pressure setting, then they probably would have been able to have brought the obstructive part of the AHI down below 5.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
MrEGuy,
Your wife has been trialing a DreamStation. Is there anyway she can also trial an AirSense 10?
Sometimes possible, sometimes not.

The two machines will obviously feel different as they use their own unique algorithms to detect apnea events, with the AirSense being more aggressive in raising pressures. That may or may not bother your wife. You will just have to study the pros and cons of each machine.

For most of us, we have only used one brand, so really can't judge how the other may feel.

With that said, others here have used both brands. Hopefully they can give their unbiased opinion. Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not used the Dream Station either, but if it is anything like the Air Sense then you can't go wrong with either of them. I am a man and I purchased the Air Sense for women as it has or had a few more features than the standard Air Sense. I like the machine and it is easy to live with as far as size and the program isn't harsh. I do like the new offering from Phillips, it wasn't available when I was getting my CPAP just the older models and I didn't like the size of those machines as well as the looks. Phillips has fixed that with the new machine so it is a toss up if you ask me with one exception. The Air Sense does have the Female setting and I am not sure that the Dream Station has that, but if it does well then again a toss up. In that case I would choose the one you get the best price on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2016, 09:20 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Your wife has been trialing a DreamStation. Is there anyway she can also trial an AirSense 10?

It is a possibility, I will need to see what she would like in regards to getting a machine and what comes of our GPs referral to the sleep clinic at the local hospital. If she would like to try a AirSence10 I will most definitely make it happen.

I have noticed that in my area each different supplier will only stock one brand. The chemist that we are trialing the DreamStation from only appears to stock the Philips brand. I think it would mean going back to the place who we originally did the sleep study with. We didn't use their trial because we got the feeling there was a conflict of interest. They appeared to do little more that send my wife home with the sleep study gadget then try sell us a machine. They are also in a an inconvenient location.

Ultimately I will get her to read this thread and try explain what I have learnt, then see what she would like to do.

Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming. I am sure that many members of the forum have wanted to get know the difference between the machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 617 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,626 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,489 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  DOWNLOADING DATA FROM AIRSENSE 10 to AIRSENSE 11 Sleepyguy39 1 1,115 10-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Question [CPAP] Airsense 10 without wireless vs Airsense 11 sleepysurgeon 12 3,409 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Horseshoez
  Wait for ResMed AirSense 11? Or buy AirSense 10 now? dk2011 25 19,748 01-24-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.