Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreaStation VS AirSense
RE: DreaStation VS AirSense
(04-25-2016, 03:39 PM)MrEGuy Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 09:20 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Your wife has been trialing a DreamStation. Is there anyway she can also trial an AirSense 10?

It is a possibility, I will need to see what she would like in regards to getting a machine and what comes of our GPs referral to the sleep clinic at the local hospital. If she would like to try a AirSence10 I will most definitely make it happen.

I have noticed that in my area each different supplier will only stock one brand. The chemist that we are trialing the DreamStation from only appears to stock the Philips brand. I think it would mean going back to the place who we originally did the sleep study with. We didn't use their trial because we got the feeling there was a conflict of interest. They appeared to do little more that send my wife home with the sleep study gadget then try sell us a machine. They are also in a an inconvenient location.

Ultimately I will get her to read this thread and try explain what I have learnt, then see what she would like to do.

Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming. I am sure that many members of the forum have wanted to get know the difference between the machines.
Hi! Smile Welcome to Apnea Forum!! You've picked THE best place to address a life changing issue, hope your wife gets to share her thoughts of her voyage into an healthier restful sleep! I thought I'd add my 2cents to the kitty & report that I LOVE my Resmed!! I've been on Cpap for over 10 years, & my new Resmed Airsense 10 is a month old... & of course, it's the only Brand of Cpaps I've used. So with that in mind, It is great!! Very- very quiet, I couldn't hear it and thought something was wrong till I put my hand over the hose, but like every one else who has commented, both products are good, I sincerely hope she is feeling better and you both get a better nights sleep. like
Sleep-well
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you'll be happy with either machine as they're both full featured and have good reputations. I prefer ResMed to Respironics for two reasons. I find the ResMed machines to be better built and more reliable. I also find that it's easier to get to the data on the ResMed machines. They make their full-feature software freely available, Respironics doesn't. (Respironics appears to be pushing their app for end users, and it gives a very limited amount of data.)

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 10:14 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Respironics appears to be pushing their app for end users, and it gives a very limited amount of data.

I agree with that one, it has no more information than you can get from the machine's screen with a few twists of the knob. The printed report we got from the chemist wasn't much better. It basically had the same data as you get from the front panel of the machine and then a whole bunch of compliance stats.

I find it quite disturbing that these machines seam to be getting engineered to keep insurance companies happy rather than the end user.

I don't think I will worry with the suppliers data, I will probably help my wife with here data using Sleepy Head when the time comes.

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts, it help a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both the A10 and the antecedent Phillips model to the Dreamstation, the PRS One 560. Being from Australia I sort of fell into getting a Resmed product as they were the ones that setup my home sleep test through ResSleep. They get out of the conflict through using an "independent" sleep Dr to review the data. Anyhow, after paying the big bucks for the A10 I was visiting the US and thought I would pick up the PRS1 on the cheap as the Dreamstation had just come out. The added benefit was I would have a backup and a blower that would be easier to use for camping due it being 12V (Resmed is 24V). Just to give you some context, many people claim the Dreamstation is largely the PRS1 re-cased to look more modern but otherwise largely unchanged.

To my surprise, whilst I have found the flex (EPR) setting on the PR1 not as "natural" as the A10 I have found I sleep much better with it. I also don't get the aerophagia that I used to get on the A10. With the A10 my pressure would peak at up to 12-14 whilst I barely break double digits with the PR1. Yes, although my AHI is now 1.5 to 4 with the PR1 rather than 0.5-2 with the A10 I tend to feel much more rested with the PR1 as the difference in AHI doesn't seem clinically significant.

To be honest this is galling to me as I would prefer to support an Australian company such as Resmed - on a machine that cost me 7x what my PR1 cost (really!). So that's my experience - everyone is different.

With Sleepyhead you actually get more data points from the PR1 than the Resmed A10 as it also records Rera's. So there is no loss in data and they are pretty much the same. I really want to use the A10 as it looks groovier (although the build quality seems similar to the PRS1) but its aggressive algorithm isn't for me at the moment with about 14mths of CPAPing under the belt.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation VS AirSense 10
I will chime in as I am now on a second cpap machine trial. Previously, I was using the dreamstation. Now it is the Airsense10 (AS10).

A few observations so far is the dreamstation is actually quieter when using the same hose and mask on the AS10. The dreamsation's LCD is ridiculously bright and shuts off a long 90 seconds once you press the ramp button. There should be a firmware update regarding this, dunno if respironics will listen. The pressure is much lower on the dreamstation, as Dafod can attest to. It's a different algorithm.

The dreamstation is quite heavy and larger including power supply then the AS10. The AS10 has wifi enabled by default. You need to go into airplane mode to disable that. I found the AS10's pressure is typically higher than the dreamstation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 02:35 AM)Hmm888 Wrote: The dreamstation is quite heavy and larger including power supply then the AS10. The AS10 has wifi enabled by default. You need to go into airplane mode to disable that. I found the AS10's pressure is typically higher than the dreamstation.

Just a slight point of correction, not that important, the AS10 has Cell radio by default and you can turn it off with Airplane mode. The cell radio in it is used to transfer data and settings to/from the DME or doctor.

You can add WiFi by changing the SD Card that comes with it to a WiFi SD card which will let you read the data remotely from your computer, say in your office, without having to take the card out.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Grin 
(05-06-2016, 04:52 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: Just a slight point of correction, not that important, the AS10 has Cell radio by default and you can turn it off with Airplane mode. The cell radio in it is used to transfer data and settings to/from the DME or doctor.

You can add WiFi by changing the SD Card that comes with it to a WiFi SD card which will let you read the data remotely from your computer, say in your office, without having to take the card out.
Lol. Ok, let me add a point of correction to the above. Wi-Fi uses a near-by transmitter and receiver. Cellular uses a distant transmitter and receiver. The AS10 has a wifi radio but no cellular radio. That would require a cellular provider.
http://www.ospmag.com/issue/article/022012-Stoffels Laugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 10:03 PM)Hmm888 Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 04:52 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: Just a slight point of correction, not that important, the AS10 has Cell radio by default and you can turn it off with Airplane mode. The cell radio in it is used to transfer data and settings to/from the DME or doctor.

Lol. Ok, let me add a point of correction to the above. Wi-Fi uses a near-by transmitter and receiver. Cellular uses a distant transmitter and receiver. The AS10 has a wifi radio but no cellular radio. That would require a cellular provider.
http://www.ospmag.com/issue/article/022012-Stoffels Laugh-a-lot

actually Frank is right, and you are... (well, I'm not supposed to say "wrong", that hurts peoples feelings or something) mistaken, the air10 machines have a built in cellular modem, that transmits data back to resmed for your DME and physician to review. it does not have WiFi. try reading the manual.

who's laughing now?? Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Palerider, if you have questions about how you are supposed to behave send a PM to the Admin, do NOT take it up here in the forum.

It's my understanding that the ResMed A10 series of machines, or at least the one I have, has a cellular modem and that if you want them to transmit via WiFi you have to replace the SD card.

A person can be wrong and a person can make mistakes. That's part of being human. There's no need to rub their nose in it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2016, 08:08 PM)MrEGuy Wrote: It looks as though I will be purchasing an APAP for my wife in the next few weeks. The contenders are the DreamStation and AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her. Both appear to be similar prices and we will be getting heated humidifier and heated hose regardless of which model we order.

What are peoples opinions of these APAPs comapred to each other.

I believe both to be good machines. I think the smaller size of the AirSense will be convenient on a cluttered bedside table. Being designed for a woman also sounds like a good feature. Beyond that I haven't observed much in the way of material differences.

Both are great machines. My Autoset for Her arrived damaged, so I was given a Respironics 60 for a loaner since it was going to take 2 weeks for the new unit to arrive. The algorithms are a bit different in that Respironics is slower to respond to apneas. For me, this did not work out and I ended up switching to straight pressure after a week. There really is no way to know if one machine will be better for you than the other without actually trying it, but I'm fairly confident that MOST people won't even notice a difference; but for some it could be dramatic. Note: The Dream Station is just a redesign. The Algorithm is the same as the 560 series. The Autoset for Her has 3 algorithms, which includes the For Her one.

If your spouse has hand impairments, the Dream Station is a better choice for accessing the water chamber. Some people far prefer the hose exit to be on top vs. on the back. Finally, Respironics is American made; Resmed is made in either Australia or Singapore. You may have a preference. Both have a 2 year warranty, however, the vast majority of the machines of both manufacturers last well beyond their 5 year expected life span.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,629 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,493 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  DOWNLOADING DATA FROM AIRSENSE 10 to AIRSENSE 11 Sleepyguy39 1 1,116 10-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Question [CPAP] Airsense 10 without wireless vs Airsense 11 sleepysurgeon 12 3,411 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Horseshoez
  Wait for ResMed AirSense 11? Or buy AirSense 10 now? dk2011 25 19,753 01-24-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.