Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreading titration sleep study
RE: Dreading titration sleep study
When I had mine sleep study l7 yrs ago, I told the Doctor that I hadn't been sleeping very good and was nervous about the study..He gave me a xanax and a sleeping pill.. He said that in order to evaluate my sleep health that he needed me to sleep...Boy, did I. The next morning a DME had a new CPAP ready for me to take home. Hooked to the hose and I love it.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to call the sleep study facility today and ask them about a tranquilizer - hopefully they say ok.
Thanks to all of you for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
johns019- good luck, keep us posted on how everything goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me it was all about attitude. The attitude perservere.

It was pretty black and white, make the whole cpap experence work or die.

I made to choice to live and haven't looked back. I whent from AHI of 94.2 to a 30 day average of 2.4

It can be done but you have to decide to do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well - I just got off the phone with the Sleep Study facility and they told me they'd never heard of any of their Drs giving a tranquilizer, but will ask for me.
I'll be hoping to get one, but will just have to get through it if not.
I'll let you guys know how it goes - Thursday the 31st is my study.
Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2012, 01:36 PM)johns019 Wrote: Well - I just got off the phone with the Sleep Study facility and they told me they'd never heard of any of their Drs giving a tranquilizer, but will ask for me.

Just a thought, but a better term to use might be a "mild sedative". The word "tranquilizer" gives the impression that you're taking something extremely strong that will "knock you out".

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Just a thought, but a better term to use might be a "mild sedative". The word "tranquilizer" gives the impression that you're taking something extremely strong that will "knock you out".

Smile

Now that would be perfect Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2012, 01:36 PM)johns019 Wrote: Well - I just got off the phone with the Sleep Study facility and they told me they'd never heard of any of their Drs giving a tranquilizer, but will ask for me.

Since your PCP has a history of prescribing sleep medicine for you, I would call his office, too, and see if they will prescibe someting for you.

It's true that sedatives make obstructive sleep apnea worse, but it's also true that you need to sleep during the sleep study in order for them to evaluate the severity of your sleep apnea, and determine the required pressure.

Having the sleeping pill handy, in case you need it, will help lwer your anxiety. If it doesn't, then taking the pill will.

If nothing else is available, bring benadryl with you to the sleep study. It's a mild sedative. Try some melatonin, too. And avoid caffeine and alcohol for the 24 hours prior to the sleep study.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cant say I understand the stress and nerves of doing a study, I thought it was great and fasinating. Im a 10 year nightshift worker so I knew they wernt getting much sleep out of me. I lay there for 8 hours and slept for 90 minutes. My book was brilliant a clive cussler novel that I managed to finish and after it was all over I went home and slept for 7 hours during the day which is my normal sleep pattern. Would I go again? of course I would its not every day you get piece and quiet to read your book all night long Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2012, 04:51 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: I cant say I understand the stress and nerves of doing a study, I thought it was great and fasinating. Im a 10 year nightshift worker so I knew they wernt getting much sleep out of me. I lay there for 8 hours and slept for 90 minutes. My book was brilliant a clive cussler novel that I managed to finish and after it was all over I went home and slept for 7 hours during the day which is my normal sleep pattern. Would I go again? of course I would its not every day you get piece and quiet to read your book all night long Too-funny

That would be nice, but I'll be headed to work after mine Sad

I could easily self medicate, but I don't want to that either - I had two elbow surgeries this winter and have plenty of pain medication left over.
I'm not going to take anything unless the sleep study facility approves it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.