Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dream Choice
Dream Choice
Just curious. Since my choices are limited by not having insurance
or a pile of money, I had not thought of this question until now.
If you had unlimited resources, what machine would you buy?
I'm beginning to understand that I got a pretty good deal on my ResMed S9. When I bought it I knew very little about the CPAP scene
and "chose" it because I could afford it, it collected data and was somewhat close. Is it the consensus that ResMed is the "Ferrari" of CPAP machines or are some other manufacturers better?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dream Choice
I researched on this board and decided on the S9 AutoSet. For me, I wanted a machine that knew the difference between obstructive and central apneas (the AutoSet does) -- since my two sleep studies were in conflict (first showed mostly obstructive, second mostly centrals) and the techs couldn't figure out the best pressure settings. They even tried Bipap, but my body was not liking that.

Also the ability to read the results myself and change settings if I get the inclination to do so were plusses for the S9.

I had to purchase it out of pocket (massive deductible on my HDHP), though my vendor gave me a nice deal on a slightly used machine (300 hours already logged on it). I'm happy with it Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 02:03 PM)GreyParrot Wrote: If you had unlimited resources, what machine would you buy?
Definitely APAP, only few dollars more than straight pressure machine
Phillips Respironcis Syestem One Auto 560 .... 1st choice (lot cheaper than Resmed)
Check Supplier #2 for deals on gently used or new open box machines

Post Reply Post Reply
When I began reading here I had the impression ResMed S9 AutoStart was a top one in popularity. I was pretty adamant with sleep lab folks that I wanted it. They were non-commital on whether I would get it telling me a determination could not be made until titration and my pressure prescription had to be high enough to have it prescribed. That is contrary to what I have read here for many. When the therapist brought the machine to me, the first thing I did was question which machine I was getting. He said with pressure prescription of 10, I just made it with the S9 AutoSet and the cut off is pressure 9. Again that is contrary to others here who have it at a lower pressure prescription than I. Several seemed to be able to choose. I was never certain I would get it until I did. Therapist did say it was the best machine available. I have since read there are one or two other machines that are as good. My DME only deals with ResMed machines and may be why he commented 'best one available' from the DME I use. I am very happy with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had both Respironics and Resmed machines.
I prefer the Resmed S9AutoSet because I found it :gentler" as far as my treatment is concerned.
I didn't have any problems with my Respironics machines, I just liked the Resmed machine better.
When I first got started using CPAP in 2008, I told the DME that I wanted a Respironics machine because my Dear Mom had sleep apnea and I sort of wanted to do it as a support mechanism for her. She had an awful time getting used to her machine and I thought that maybe if she saw that mine looked sort of like hers, it would help her along in her journey a bit. I'm not sure if it did, but, I wanted to try that for her. After she passed away from a hemmorhagic stroke a couple years ago, I decided to try the Resmed because of what I read about it here.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I like my Resmed machines but they are the only machines I have ever used.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends on what you need. I've got the S9 Autoset and think it is a great "workhorse" unit. My wife found it wasn't "wet" enough for her. The DME set her up with a F&P Icon with a larger water tank and massive humidity...not as great at the data part (she's had USB stick issues), but great for the humidity.

If funds weren't an issue....I dunno. If the unit does what I want and need, I don't need much more than that.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Airmini mask choice Jennj99738 5 728 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Smoothmakir
Exclaimation [Diagnosis] 2 Yrs CPAP & I Still Don't Dream - Eliminated Obstructive But Central Apneas Present droo 5 532 08-31-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: droo
Question Resmed AirTouch F20 on Dream Station 2: X factor? SleeperAwake21 1 437 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: SleeperAwake21
Question Dream Station 2 stats sallym 4 760 02-20-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting HelicopterPilot 7 852 02-03-2023, 05:20 PM
Last Post: HelicopterPilot
  Current CPAP machine choice mzipp 2 709 12-29-2022, 10:16 PM
Last Post: mzipp

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.