Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dream Cure For Snorers?
Dream Cure For Snorers?
Hi to all,

Here is an article that may be of interest to members. I have copied/pasted directly from a major newspaper here in Australia.

Cheers,

Dave

A dream cure for snor­ers

The Daily Telegraph (Sydney)
22 November 2013

SEVERE snorers could soon be breathing easier thanks to a discovery by an Australianbased scientist.
Dr Danny Eckert and his team have found previously unknown causes of obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA), which means new treatments could be on the way.
At present about one million Australians with the condi t i on nee d a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) device at night.
It is a life-saver, but it is intrusive and requires a bedside machine connected to a mask worn over the mouth and nose.
The discover y could change the landscape of treatment, according to Dr Eckert, a former Harvard researcher now at Neuroscience Research Australia.
The Harvard-led study shows anatomy, weight and age are not the only causes of OSA.
The findings come in a report published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. “We’ve unearthed brand new problem areas,” Dr Eckert said.
“We might be able to treat these rather than focus solely on the problem of a collapsing airway, as we have until now.’’

Copyright Daily Telegraph & Sunday Telegraph
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dream Cure For Snorers?
Was this the whole article? I'd like to know what the title of the report is? I checked the Journal's website and could not find the original article with a 2013 date.

Ah, I just found the article; but the site wants $15 for a copy of the full report. Here is the link to the reports abstract, which is interesting but not very informative: http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.11...o59CMS1HIg
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
So what did they find? What is this alleged "brand new problem area"?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect a serious case of minfotainment disorder on the part of the newspaper involved.

However, if they've discovered some new data about the root causes of sleep apnea, there might be something useful there in the future.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...leep-apnea
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 928 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 197 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 395 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 949 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
Exclaimation [Diagnosis] 2 Yrs CPAP & I Still Don't Dream - Eliminated Obstructive But Central Apneas Present droo 5 532 08-31-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: droo
Question Resmed AirTouch F20 on Dream Station 2: X factor? SleeperAwake21 1 437 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: SleeperAwake21

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.