Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dream Station Humidfier question
Dream Station Humidfier question
Hello all, I am new to the CPAP world, just got mine last night. It is a Respironics Dream Station. 

I was just wondering about setting up the humidfier, what settings need to be on ? My doctor said mine is pre-set on the Adaptive setting and I believe the heat setting is at 2. I used it last night and didn't really feel the humidification and there was barely any water used. Can anybody give me a crash course on how to set this correctly ?

Joe
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dream Station Humidfier question
Your dreamstation produces more humidity with the Adaptive settings OFF, using Fixed humidity. That gives you control over both humidity and tube temperature, and the machine does not "adapt" the humidity for ambient conditions. It may take some trial and error to get the settings you like. Both the humidity and tube have settings 1-5. I think you might like 3 on humidity, and 3 or 4 on tube temp to ensure no condensation. I'm pretty sure you will notice a difference. If you want more humidity than that, just use the comfort settings to increase or decrease the settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tube heat, are you referring to a heated tube ? If so, I have just a standard tube
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2017, 09:10 AM)Joe Basil Wrote: Tube heat, are you referring to a heated tube ? If so, I have just a standard tube

Gosh Joe! It's 2017, get with the program.  Oh-jeez
They are about $30 and at least for me, that seems worthwhile.  Usually insurance will cover it, especially if you complain about condensation to your doctor.  Then it will just be added to the prescription.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lol, I'm a newbie, I don't know anything yet  Smile I just got my first CPAP last night
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you just picked it up, tell the supplier, you had condensation and ask what it's going to take to get a heated hose. I bet they will set you right up, or call your doctor to take care of it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I will second Sleeprider's suggestion to get a heated hose. It makes a world of difference in comfort to be able to control the temperature of the air reaching your mask.

I use a heated hose with a humidity setting of 3 and no heat on the hose. When winter kicks in here, I will set the heat on the hose to 1 to break the chill of the air reaching my mask and also to insure there is no rainout. I don't really notice the humidity from the humidifier at these settings.

The amount of humidity and hose temperature needed are very personal and varies as ambient conditions do. I found I will occasionally run the humidifier tank dry before time to get up on humidity settings over 3. On humid nights my water level will barely move from the fill line. On nights with low humidity the humidifier will be almost out of water after around 8 hrs.

In the meantime, I would suggest using the adaptive setting at whatever setting keeps your sinuses and throat from drying out.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Joe Basil,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I agree that you need to get a heated hose, it really helps with comfort.

Good luck to you on your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
Exclaimation [Diagnosis] 2 Yrs CPAP & I Still Don't Dream - Eliminated Obstructive But Central Apneas Present droo 5 532 08-31-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: droo
Question Resmed AirTouch F20 on Dream Station 2: X factor? SleeperAwake21 1 437 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: SleeperAwake21
  Duration Resmed battery Power Station II Asjb 2 729 03-20-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Asjb
Question Dream Station 2 stats sallym 4 760 02-20-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting HelicopterPilot 7 852 02-03-2023, 05:20 PM
Last Post: HelicopterPilot
  ketanerp - Excessive dream, dizziness and sleep apnea. ketanerp 17 1,771 12-26-2022, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.