Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation 2 - What Were They Thinkin'?
DreamStation 2 - What Were They Thinkin'?
I currently have had a DreamStation '1' for roughly a year about a year and a half. It's the only one I've used and overall have no complaints with its functionality, ease of use, and the results I get with it. The foam issue doesn't particularly worry me as I've not used any type 'cleaning'/sanitizing methods on it and the most significant amount of off-gassing has occurred during the first few months of its manufacture and usage. I have not detected any bits and pieces of foam in the water tray and from experience with other various foam type products it takes a long, long time to become flaky brittle or gummy if in a 'normal' environment, such as a bedroom.
I did register my DS1 on the Philips site as it is one of the affected ones. I'm anticipating it would likely be replaced with a DreamStation 2, so I set about doing a bit reading on it. For the most part it appears it would function similarly to the old DS1. The menu system and structure is different in the DS2 and I do find the DS1 easy to get through to look at values and change if needed. Not sure the DS2 navigation looks as easy or if all that is in the DS1 is within the DS2 to be able to look at and change. I can lay in bed and see the DS1 menu. The DS2 menu I'd have to sit up and be over it to see it.

BUT............ the biggest issue I have with the DS2..... is the hose connection on the front of the unit!!! What were they thinkin'? My DS1 sets on a small nightstand which is occupied by a clock radio, telephone, and a lamp. The DS1 sets next to the bed with its front facing the front of the nightstand and the hose at the rear exiting to an overhead hook at the head of the bed. The hose at the rear is very much out of the way and not prone to someone walking by or making the bed and accidentally snagging onto it. Access to the DS 1 water tray is easy with its lid that hinges up in the rear. Because limited space and arranging of items on the nightstand, the DS2 hose would need to be to the rear of the nightstand to best route to the overhead hook. Good luck reading the display with the hose to the rear, but at least the DS2 water tank would be easy to remove. I went so far as make a paper cutout the size of the DS2 to see if I could orient sideways with the hose towards the bed, but this won't work. On the plus side of having the hose towards the rear, at least the removal of the water tray is now to the front for easy access. The DS2 is said to smaller that the DS1, but it's not by much that would matter.

Not sure anyone else feels this way about the front exiting hose, but for me it's a no starter that Philips should have thought through better to accommodate of how users may place it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation 2 - What Were They Thinkin'?
I doubt Phillips will be replacing machines with new ones so you may be worrying for nothing. More likely they will have a replacement for the foam filter.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,710 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,300 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.