Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation 2 and Oscar
RE: DreamStation 2 and Oscar
DS2 and OSCAR, we are still working on it and haven't given up. I would take soon out of that vocabulary. While we understand the form of the encryption we do not know the rotating encryption key. Soon doesn't enter the picture until we have clear unencrypted data.
Remember everyone working on OSCAR is a volunteer which means that they have real lives too, that and the holiday season is rapidly approaching and that always slows things down. So if you are even thinking it go ResMed would be my recommendation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Am I missing something here regarding the Dreamstation 2?  I see talk of encryption and decoding SD cards for OSCAR, but the Dreemstation 2 has no capability to write an SD card. The data resides only within the machine and can only be accessed remotely, I believe by telephone.  If that's so, then it appears to me impossible that OSCAR will ever be able to break into that kind of data transmission. Will someone please tell me if I'm wrong on this? I really need to know, because if there's no hope then I want to proceed to buy a Resmed machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation 2 does have an SD card. I think you have to remove the humidifier tank to get at the SD card slot.

You read Gideon's response -- OSCAR support isn't going to be soon, and the upcoming holidays always bring delays.

I agree with his recommendation -- a ResMed machine will give you very readable and usable data, and give it to you now.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.4.0)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2021, 12:45 PM)stewart11 Wrote: Will someone please tell me if I'm wrong on this? I really need to know, because if there's no hope then I want to proceed to buy a Resmed machine.

You are wrong on this.

DS2 is Cellular data capable and bluetooth-to-App-to-cloud data capable, but it also writes the data to the SD Card but encrypted.

It is ONLY the SD Card data (in particular the detail data) that OSCAR has been using, across all devices. That's not currently possible any more on DS 2s because of Philips deliberate encryption.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
We can actually "read" the SD card and recognize that it is  DS2 we cannot at this time decrypt the (detailed) data on the SD card.  This much is included in the v1.3.0 release.  This is not enough for OSCAR to work with.  

When will OSCAR be DS2 capable?  The standard answer is when it is ready. Honestly at this time I have no idea, definitely not "soon".  Can we do it?  While we expect to, this has proven to be far more difficult than expected.  Maybe 4+ months after it is decrypted. We have no idea what other issues we will encounter once we are past the encryption.
Note that it is possible we will fail at decryption and may evaluate other solutions so DS2 users will not be hung out to dry.  Those options will be what OSCAR has never done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just read all of this, like others came here because I received the DS2 as a replacement for the DS1 for the recall. It was so much better having access to data, it's impossible to figure out what's going on with the tiny screen and limited amount of data available. They don't even show the detailed data in their own app! Rooting for you guys to figure a way out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can we go on the offensive with Respironics? All contact the at once? Inundate them on Twitter? Go to state and Congressional authorities?

And other than the cancer foam, the DS1 was a superior machine. Build quality felt better, swivel on the humidifier tube connector, inexpensive, dishwashable water tray that was much easier to remove, and non-intentionally-encrypted access to useful diagnostic data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
The new models are clearly a cost-reduction effort. A single SKU (no more separate modems or humidifiers), removed the physical dial, the ramp button, and ambient light sensor, humidifier hinge, etc. And they could easily have fit a larger screen in, or supported wifi, but those would have cost more.

And for the tinfoil hat brigade, the soldered-on modem supports ublox's "CellLocate" geolocation service, though I don't know whether Philips is using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that writing a comment to the FDA would be worthwhile -- they are obliged by law to consider all patient comments.

I would emphasize that PR has proven themselves to be not trustworthy, because they obviously hid their knowledge about the foam problems for some time.

I can look at my ResMed breath-by-breath flow data and see missed events, but I can also see that they are minimal and my reported AHI is pretty accurate. So I know that my doctor can rely on the reported AHI and make decisions as to my therapy. It is VERY clear that my doctor ignores any and all detailed data, and I'd say that's true about 95% of sleep medicine. So it is important to know that the summary data is a true representation of the detailed data.

Suppose Phillips were to become aware that there were serious bugs in their software, and the machine would react in ways that made the therapy ineffective, or even made the apnea worse, and was dangerous for patients. If they failed in their efforts to track down and fix the bugs, this would be a devastating financial hit. They would have a huge financial incentive to hide the software bugs, and they could do this by faking the summary data so that it looked like the machine was working well when it wasn't. Now if the patients had access to the detailed data, there would be a few who would look closely at the data and see that the detailed data didn't add up to the reported summaries, and start asking questions. Faking the detailed data would be a fairly complex undertaking (it might be easier to fix the software bugs!) but faking the summary data is trivial if you can hide the detailed data.

Another aspect is that PR is giving access to the detailed data to the doctors and dmes. If it turns out that PR is hiding the data because they have something to hide, and the doctors/dmes don't look at the detailed data closely enough to detect the fraud, then they are liable for the malpractice that results from relying on the falsified data. PR is putting this added burden on the practitioners to vouch for PR's honesty and diligence, and they are doing this mere months after PR proved that they were willing to tell lies that put patients' lives and health at risk in order to protect their financial interests.

Are doctors and dmes really going to take the risk of financial ruin so that Phillips can make more money? Are you willing to risk your health and maybe your life on the possibility that known proven liars might lie about something else?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the same boat as everyone else here. I got a DreamStation II as a replacement for my Respironics System One (which I really liked). I actually don't have much of a problem with the design of the DSII, it was definitely not though out all the way, but it works just fine. The fact that I can't read my own SD card though is extremely frustrating. Initially I was given a Resmed AirSense 10 as a replacement, but unfortunately I couldn't use the device due to its use of FOT (forced oscillation technology) to detect whether your apnea is obstructive or central. The air oscillations would completely screw up my breathing and would wake me up in an almost panicked state. My DME supplier had run into this some issue with other patients being unable to adapt to FOT, and there is no way to turn it off (at least on an APAP, I've heard you can on a BiPAP), so my only choice was a DMII.

With that being said, the DMII does work well. It's relatively quiet, and based on both how I feel and on the (rather limited) phone app, it is controlling my sleep apnea.

I've thought about trying to get an AirSense 11 to see if its FOT isn't as obvious, but I've gone through some much hassle as a result of the Philips recall that at this point I'm just happy to have a CPAP that works and isn't actively poisoning me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar complaining about replacement DreamStation traveler12 9 394 05-07-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  Installing Oscar v 1.3.0 in a different C drive folder from version Oscar 1.2.0. rumtap 7 654 03-15-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Does Oscar work with DreamStation 2 gq1234 1 394 03-03-2022, 11:28 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  OSCAR 2.0 Problem and Questions [correction - OSCAR 1.2.0] rumtap 8 936 06-24-2021, 01:39 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  oscar question [popup reminder when closing OSCAR] hegel 5 525 06-21-2021, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR - The Guide [Using & Interpeting OSCAR results] SuperSleeper 0 4,901 03-27-2021, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Does OSCAR support Philips Respironics DreamStation APAP Model MPN: DSX500H11 ktho64152 2 597 02-18-2021, 03:08 PM
Last Post: ktho64152

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.