Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation 2 vs ResMed?
RE: DreamStation 2 vs ResMed?
I'm pretty sure all of the fancy work is done by the firmware and the control board, as there are two sensors to measure both flow rate and pressure at different points in the system. But I wouldn't even pretend to know how that works and what is needed.

I just decided to take a look at mine (Airsense 10 Autoset). The blower run time is 1513 hours (I've had it since February 10th). The patient usage time is 1393.6 hours over 138 days - which is 10.09 hours a day, on average. The 120 additional hours of run time is the cooldown after use, as well as mask fit. I think the cooldown is 30 minutes per session on top of the hours used, so you would need to account for that. Looking at my data (counting any sessions that were only a couple of minutes apart as one) there are about 220 "sessions" that would have blown for the full 30 minutes cool down (a total of 110 hours) which leaves an average of 4.3 minutes ​of random mask fitting or cool down between closer sessions a day, which looks about right to me.

So if you use the humidifier and only one session per day, that works out to 327 days with the current run hours on your ASV (which has the same process) and about 6.8 years to get to 20K hours of run time, (and your figures would be a good estimate for use without a humidifier if it doesn't run the cooldown without one - honestly, I haven't tried to check). Using it 8 hours a day plus cooldown would give you 6.4 years before reaching 20K hours. However, I would get to 20K hours in less than 5.5 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
And the gaining of knowledge machers on:

I was indeed able to buy a Great and nearly brand new ResMed Air Curve 10 Model S, a BiPap with only 20 hours' run time.

Its owner has recovered from the virus with lung damage and they found the machine was totally unable to help him.

And I learned how to clean these machines with Isopropyl Alcohol as the repair shops do by tearing them completely apart and cleaning every part.

Then I set it up with my current working great settings on a Phillips and a ResMed ASV machine (which was shipped back for a refund), and set the new machine with them.

So last night I gave it a run.

I found an answer to one major question.

How much do I need an ASV sleep machine?

It seems very much.

I was able to test a brand new ResMed Air Curve 10 model S, a Bi-level machine. It is near an ASV system I could get. The only model above this before a ASV is a Vauto which is mainly an auto-set system NOT a fully responsive system like a ASV.

The report shows that it is unable to control my sleep Apneas.

The first sleep cycle was 3.3 hours and I was showing a fair amount of Apneas at 9/15 so I reset the pressures to 10/18 and sleep another 3.5 hours and again took a reading and no improvement.

Last night I got a fairly high reading of 7.67 AHIs in a total of 6.07 hours of sleep.

At this point, I switched back to the Phillips ASV and got 2 more hours, and it reported ZERO AHIs.

Running an ASV, either a Phillips or ResMed I normally get readings of 1.0 to 0.50.

So I seemly really need an ASV machine.

I now wonder how people would get much better sleep no matter what their apneas are with an ASV??

I was having 2.78 Obstructive Apneas the most common type of apneas. On an ASV machine, I can often get zero.

In my case, I also showed 4.90 Centrals which most people on CPAP do not have.

So about the humidifier, the new ResMed does run hotter than the returning machine, which I found does warm up but it took the highest setting (8) to even get it warm, so it is just very weak.

And we found out the water tanks in Resmed hold twice the water on my Dreamstation's tank. WHY in all the years Phillips cannot make a larger tank to last a 8 hour sleep cycle, their old System Ones also run out of water if ran any higher than setting 1.

So I will stay on my Foamless Dreamstation ASV until I can find a ResMed Air Curve 10 ASV or a Main Board.

Does anyone know a friendly dealer in used machines?? I would really like to buy just the mainboard.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll likely find nothing can substitute for ASV. An S machine I'm thinking is straight BPAP, with EPAP PS and IPAP but no range. These will be static numbers. Ones that need ASV will find it difficult to substitute ASV with anything other than another ASV.

And we've also seen a few that got a used ASV that didn't need it and could not get the therapy they needed because it was the wrong therapy. So ASV for all is not a good concept either.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The main problem for me has been any real proof I need an ASV machine. My first Doctor said I did but he was a bit of a self-serving power nut so I was/am not totally sure of his call.

When I asked for a replacement ASV I was forced to do three sleep studies (they were so badly done..) I question their reports as in all three I only sleep a few hours.

Sadly even a Mayo Clitic test here in Scottsdale when considering the Insight Implant where my Centrals ruled me out they still suggested I ONLY needed a CPAP..odd as I clearly was ruled out due to central...

So ai struggled from 2 to 3 years with a crappy APAP unit I got a FitBit HR and saw how poor my sleep CYCLES like deep and rem were and dug out my old slightly malfunctioning ASV and proved to myself it handles me much better than a Simple APAP.

Then I found out no sleep doctor will test for sleep cycles and as I cannot show them results from a sleep study I cannot get Medicare or access to buy me a ASV machine I have to go on my own ever since.

I then found I could get the SystemOne unit rebuilt, a new fan, and a mainboard for $250.00.

So I had a 950 and a 960 rebuilt and then I wanted to do the 950 and found Phillips cut all supplies off and I then got a Dreamstation ASV.

Now there are only two manufacturers of ASV systems and from my contact with both companies I really wish there were more..both are stinkers and care NOTHING about us.

And now both are trying to kill repairs, reselling of used machines, and control our data.

I am NOT a happy camper.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Nearly 20 years of CPAP and APAP use and 9 different machines over that time. More recently, my main systems were the PR System 1 and then the DreamStation machines until the recall. I *thought* their algorithms worked best for me and had decided against ResMed earlier releases because of some features/noise/other issues that made the PR preferable to me.

I recently purchased a ResMed AirSense 10 and had an almost immediate "Where have you been all my life?" response. My AHI is better, I cannot hear it at all, it has a small form factor and, well, gee. Why didn't I do this earlier? There are a few things that keep it from being perfect. The humidity settings are more cumbersome (I don't use a heated tube) because of the fact that, I think it all is relative to ambient air temp. So I have to crank it up to get more humidity in my humid environment. Not a big deal, just an adjustment. My pressures are much higher (13cmH20 compared to average 9 or 10 on other machines), but I had not felt the change even with my pillows interface. My AHI, with this, is less than 1. On others it was between 1.5 and 3. It is silent. My only concerns will be if the water tank will last all night in the winter (the only one that has for me is Devilbiss Intellipap which would go all night even when I lived in the desert SW. I can set up an additional heated or bypass chamber if I really need it. Add to all of that how PR has handled the recall and I would never buy anything from them again. After using the ResMed now, I can think of nothing in my experience that would cause me not to recommend it highly. Just my experience, but I hope that is helpful to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I have tested the ResMeds and they are different...and lacking a few features in a number of ways from the Dreamstation.

I can live with both. Again these are these ASV machines.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
The specs on the iBreeze BPAP look like it has the functionality of ASV machines, with backup respiration rate, Ti, and other settings. It claims to be suitable for central apnea, and it supports pressures up to 30. It sells in the US for $1640 with a 30 day return. It looks like it could be worth investigating.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 116 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question Question on using a Resmed S9 vs a Dreamstation 1 nbdsv96 3 575 06-20-2023, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto difference from DreamStation BiPap BrassCat 6 786 12-10-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: BrassCat
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,753 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Phillips Dreamstation II or Resmed Airsense Auto 11 pwgphoto 6 1,194 10-03-2022, 08:14 PM
Last Post: pwgphoto
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,559 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] ResMed Nasal Pillows with DreamStation? RHug00 4 576 09-04-2022, 10:30 AM
Last Post: RHug00

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.