Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation AHI Higher than System One
DreamStation AHI Higher than System One
I’ve been using a PR System One for 13 years and averaging an AHI of .5 to .6.  I just started using a PR DreamStation machine one week ago, and I’m now averaging 1.5, or almost 3x my old AHI.  Can anyone please help explain the difference in outcomes between the two machines?  I had been like clockwork for 13 years before starting with the DreamStation machine.
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation AHI Higher than System One
I really can’t explain it.  I’m not certain, and I’m not aware of major changes in Respironics algorithm from the 60 series to the DreamStation.

There are a couple possible reasons to see a change like that.  

1.  Maybe the 60 series wasn’t working up to par.  Thirteen years is a bit past the machines life span.
2.  You are unknowingly using different settings?  Even a change in the Flex setting could affect AHI.
3.  Are you using the same mask?  

Whatever the reasoning, you are welcome to download the free OSCAR software, post a screenshot from the daily page of the 60 series and a screenshot from the new DreamStation for comparison.

The links in my signature line below explain how.  We might be able to spot a reason for the difference.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I switched from a System 1 to a Dreamstation, I found the exact same thing in terms of AHI.  With System 1, I was averaging an AHI of around 0.6.  After my switch to Dreamstation using the same pressure range (7-12) I was averaging around 1.5 or more.  I increased my minimum pressure from 7 to 8 and then 8.5.  My AHI is now averaging less than 0.5 per night.  (That 0.5 increase worked very well for me.)

Your profile shows your low at 5cm.  I'm wondering if that's too low for you.  OSCAR would help you see what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose,
Thanks for your helpful considerations.  
I’ve actually owned 3 separate 60 series machines over the 13 year period, and my average.5 to .6 AHI has been like clockwork throughout this period. 
My machine settings, which I verified within the provider screen portal, are identical to those from my 60 series machine.
Lastly, I continue to use my trusty Resmed Airfit 20 mask; so I’ve changed nothing except the machine.
I assume the DreamStation somehow reads apneas and hypopneas more aggressively, but I suppose I should rule out that something is t wrong with this particular machine.  Thanks again for your help.
Peter
Post Reply Post Reply
Fedman,
Your email is quite helpful.  In fact I increased my minimum to 6 last night, which didn’t help, but I’ll try an additional increase tonight.  It sounds like you had an identical experience to me, and so I assume my remedy might be close to yours as well.  I’ll try a minimum 6.5 tonight, and I’ll keep bumping until it works.
Thanks so much for sharing your similar experience and solution!
Cheers,
Peter
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,606 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,067 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 373 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,429 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,787 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.